front end grinding/ whining noise???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jplemons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hows it going... just bought a 03 gmc Yukon Xl denali. It has 168000 miles on it I got it for a good deal because it has a couple problems the main problem is a grinding/ winding noise coming from the front drivers side.... I originally thought it was a wheel bearing which would not be a huge problem to fix but it seems to only whine whenever I'm on the gas. It is a awd truck and it sounds like my jeep when its in low range 4x4. I'm having trouble. Troubleshooting the problem I thought id see if any of you guys had ran into this before. I'm thinking its gotta be a bad bearing somewhere. Carrier bearing? I just hope I haven't gottin into a mess. The other problem is the fuel gauge...the low fuel light works and the estimated fuel range works but the gauge is on E. Not a big deal but id like to fix it. Thanks in advance - jake

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a couple things. I recently had this same problem with my 03 Denali. Thought it was the drivers front wheel bearing as well but no. Finally took it to a mechanic since I bought an extended warranty when I got my truck. Turned out my front diff and transfer case needed replaced! Pull the plug on both and check the fluids. I had metal shavings in both my front diff and transfer case. If you have metal shavings in one and not the other, that's where I'd start. Good luck, they're expensive! Thank God I had that warranty! Oh and I also just had the gas gauge problem after my fuel pump went out. I had a new pump put in and my gauge was still messed up and stuck on ''E" I thought it was the stepper motor on the back of the gauge cluser so I replaced it and the gauge was still messed up. Turned out I had a Airtex fuel pump put in and these trucks DO NOT like that brand of pump! Get an ACdelco and I bet your prob it fixed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jplemons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could be a couple things. I recently had this same problem with my 03 Denali. Thought it was the drivers front wheel bearing as well but no. Finally took it to a mechanic since I bought an extended warranty when I got my truck. Turned out my front diff and transfer case needed replaced! Pull the plug on both and check the fluids. I had metal shavings in both my front diff and transfer case. If you have metal shavings in one and not the other, that's where I'd start. Good luck, they're expensive! Thank God I had that warranty! Oh and I also just had the gas gauge problem after my fuel pump went out. I had a new pump put in and my gauge was still messed up and stuck on ''E" I thought it was the stepper motor on the back of the gauge cluser so I replaced it and the gauge was still messed up. Turned out I had a Airtex fuel pump put in and these trucks DO NOT like that brand of pump! Get an ACdelco and I bet your prob it fixed!

That suuucks.....if that is my problem I hope its just the differential. Were the gears messed up or something else.....? If its the gears I could probably replace them....the underside of the truck is clean....almost too clean. There is no road grime on the transfercase. It is a repo........ I was thinking and if some idiot didn't know the denali's were awd and towed it from the rear I bet that would do some nice damage to the transfercase

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what exactly was messed up. Yeah if it was a repo and they didn't haul it by flatbed that'd be real bad! Mine didn't have any leaks either when I bought it. Like I said, I'd just start buy pulling the plug on the front diff and transfer case. When I first got mine I checked all the boxes and the fluids didn't look that horrible but I knew they needed to be changed soon. Before I even got around it it, bout a month later that noise started up and the mechanic said when he pulled the plugs on both they had metal shavings coming out. My only option was to rebuild or replace with rebuilt or new.

OP
OP
J

jplemons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope that isn't the case....I went out and drove it again and its defently coming from the very front. I plan on dropping the fluids tomorrow. If it just goes to crape I guess ill just take the front driveshaft off till I get it fixed right. As far as that fuel gauge goes I'm just gonna let it ride I know dropping that tank is gonna be a pain in the a$$. Ill fix it if the pump goes out....ha... also mine has the entertainment center on the ceiling its not working....I don't think its getting any power do you know what that fuse might be labeled? I checked a couple I thought it was but they were all good.

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaving the front drive line unhooked has crossed my mind a few times too this time of year for mpgs. haha As far as the entertainment stuff goes, I'm not sure on that. You'd think it would have to be a fuse issue. Maybe the cigarette/DC outlet is blown and hooked into all that?

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey 03, what warranty company did you have and did you have any problems with them as to if the issue was a mechanical breakdown vs. wear and tear?

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Route 66 Warranty they are awesome. I got it through my bank when I got my loan for my truck. Depending on the vehicle's Year/Make/Model/Milege, they determine what kind of coverage you'll have. I got a 3 year, 36k mile warranty on my truck from the time I bought it and A ALOT is covered. Just have to take it to a certified mechanic and they call to get approval to do the work. I had all the following done under warranty, and just had to pay taxes for the work because they don't cover taxes.

Water pump
Fuel Pump
Front Diff
Transfer case
Valve cover gaskets

Last edited:

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I got mine through ASC. Haven't had to use it yet, but I've heard all kinds of war stories about these warranty companies denying claims due to wear and tear vs. 'mechanical breakdown'.

OP
OP
J

jplemons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well yesterday afternoon I got out there and dropped the front differential fluid. And the were no huge peices of metal just your regular shiny look you get after not changing it for awhile. I just cleaned off the magnet on the drop plug and filled it back up with some synthetic lukas gear oil. Now its really got me wondering what it is....like I said it ONLY happens when I am giving it gas when I let off it stops. When I start off from a dead stop sometimes I get a jerk in the front end then the noise....but usually its just the noise. And the noise pitch followers my speed. So that tells me its something in the driveline. If its not the transfer case/ differential / or driveshaft. Then it must be a Cv Axel or the carrier bearing in the dif case. I personally don't mind the noise I just don't want something to break when I'm doing 80 down the highway and lock a front tire down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris