Front end binding when accelerating in 4wd hi or Lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
If your tires point to each other, you have a steering component issue. With 335k on her, check out tie rod ends, ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, and center link. These can all be checked with a floor jack, a prybar and fulcrum (ball joints), and by wiggling the tire back and forth (right/left) and looking for play. If it's that bad, it should be obvious.

Also to note, are all 4 tires the same size, brand, and pressure. Are they worn evenly? If the other stuff checks out, swap spots on 1 side front to rear to eliminate unequal rolling diameter
Tbh from al the feedback im getting im aiming towards my idler arm i will check when i have a chance and all my tires are all worn out have a new set already just want to take care of this issue first

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 100K on aftermarket front end components you have done well. Time to do them all over again.
As you have learned, Just doing one piece doesn't last.

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
With 100K on aftermarket front end components you have done well. Time to do them all over again.
As you have learned, Just doing one piece doesn't last.
All my front end components are from Moog its a pretty descent brand. But im gonna probably replace everything again, thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
There can be slight differences in the diameter of the tires which means they will turn a slightly different speed. In 4WD, it tries to make all the tires turn the same RPM which binds everything up.
There can be slight differences in the diameter of the tires which means they will turn a slightly different speed. In 4WD, it tries to make all the tires turn the same RPM which binds everything up.
Both my front tires are the same diameter they are both worn out the same so i doubt thats the problem

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbh from al the feedback im getting im aiming towards my idler arm i will check when i have a chance and all my tires are all worn out have a new set already just want to take care of this issue first
A worn idler arm which can be checked in 5mins or less is not causing binding in the front end. A worn idler arm causes the right wheel to toe out of alignment and causes the tire on right wheel to wear excessively.
You need to jack front wheels just off the ground in 2wd and turn them and make sure your front diff is not locked in for some reason and while you got the frontend in the air you check the idler and pitman arm for excessive wear.
Have someone grab right wheel at 9 and 3 oclock and rock wheel inward and outward while you are under there watching idler arm. It should not be jumping up and down like it is in the attached video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon