Front end binding when accelerating in 4wd hi or Lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Payan

Reaction score
Hi guys im having a weird problem with my tahoe it has 335k i dont remember when and how the problem started but when i put it in 4wd hi or lo my front end startes jerking. Its like if both my front wheels turn in at the same time I already got my differential rebuilt for the same reason. Any ideas? Thanks!

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
It happens on hard ground but ive tried driving it hard ground before and it never drove like that.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any frontend work done lately?

WAG: check the orientation of your center link (as posted by @SnowDrifter):

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tires point to each other, you have a steering component issue. With 335k on her, check out tie rod ends, ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, and center link. These can all be checked with a floor jack, a prybar and fulcrum (ball joints), and by wiggling the tire back and forth (right/left) and looking for play. If it's that bad, it should be obvious.

Also to note, are all 4 tires the same size, brand, and pressure. Are they worn evenly? If the other stuff checks out, swap spots on 1 side front to rear to eliminate unequal rolling diameter

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
Any frontend work done lately?

WAG: check the orientation of your center link (as posted by @SnowDrifter):

I tried replacing my axle seals and i put it back together and thats when the problem appeared and after i found out that i took my diff off to get it rebuilt since my frint diff actuator wasnt engaging anymore. But it got rebuilt and problem still remains.

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
If your tires point to each other, you have a steering component issue. With 335k on her, check out tie rod ends, ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, and center link. These can all be checked with a floor jack, a prybar and fulcrum (ball joints), and by wiggling the tire back and forth (right/left) and looking for play. If it's that bad, it should be obvious.

Also to note, are all 4 tires the same size, brand, and pressure. Are they worn evenly? If the other stuff checks out, swap spots on 1 side front to rear to eliminate unequal rolling diameter
i replaced all my front end components a while back not the oem so they should have around 100k on them or less but i will check everything whenever i get a chance i have a 30hour drive trip this spring need it ready soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts