Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
ALL OF GM Int. is crap....they know this and this why they will not do anything about it.
I am the original owner of my 2000 WS6 , it has 40,000 miles on it, the dash has a 12 in crack, both door poanels are cracked right where the bracket is to keep it from cracking,the T bar starts to bubble trough the paint in the heat, Yes my car stays in the garage. Now for my 07 Yukon XL, that leaks trough the top of the consloe, the dash is cracked by the air bag, the CD does not eject,my mirrors are always at a different postion after shutting it off, my seat doesnt move at times, a code for thje rear gas tank,and it has 67,*** miles .... Way to GO GM taking care of the ones that keep ypou in Buisness.................

Evaporate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anybody tried using the "Dash Skin" product found on fleabay? I watched a youtube vid of an install, seems like a cheaper and easier to install alternative for all of us with these cracked dashes.

I'm considering it but would like to see if any of you here have tried it out yet.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dash has a small crack right where it gets thin around the passenger airbag. I didn't notice it when I bought the Tahoe a year and a half ago, but I think it's always been there. I'd like to find some sort of glue or epoxy or something to patch it up and hide the crack.

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since so many of us are facing the same issue cant we get together and do something about it.

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since so many of us are facing the same issue cant we get together and do something about it.

Missing one person (The Lawyer!)

By the way who well be the new champion of 2014 models with the first Dash crack :)

Go GM Go, Go GM Go :D
(GM turtles power)
ny-lol-ninja-turtles-rafael-turtle-Favim.com-38005.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

ALL OF GM Int. is crap....they know this and this why they will not do anything about it.
I am the original owner of my 2000 WS6 , it has 40,000 miles on it, the dash has a 12 in crack, both door poanels are cracked right where the bracket is to keep it from cracking,the T bar starts to bubble trough the paint in the heat, Yes my car stays in the garage. Now for my 07 Yukon XL, that leaks trough the top of the consloe, the dash is cracked by the air bag, the CD does not eject,my mirrors are always at a different postion after shutting it off, my seat doesnt move at times, a code for thje rear gas tank,and it has 67,*** miles .... Way to GO GM taking care of the ones that keep ypou in Buisness.................

The Power of GM turtles!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why this happened... what I can tell you from working on other cars here are some things that I have learned over the years.

1) Never - Ever use Windex or ammonia based cleaners on the inside of your windshield. The vapors fall and when you wipe off the surface to clean the dash you end up removing a small amount of the oils that keep the dash soft. Eventually the dash dries out enough that it shrinks and causes cracks. This is one of those things that does not happen immediately, it may take years for it to show up, it really depends on the plastic itself. - Suggestion, use a microfiber cloth and a spray bottle of water to clean your windshield and windows.

2) Bad plastic from the get-go. Had an 07 Lumina that had the front plastic trim piece that was mis-manufactured. It warped and looked horrible. When I went to remove it I had to take it out in pieces and it literally crumbled in my hands like old dried out mud. I found a good one in a junkyard and simply replaced it.

3) some other chemical could have gotten on the dash and caused it to crack. I have seen things happen like this after a repaint. The vapors from the paint or even a solvent like lacquer thinner were enough to invade the interior and attack the plastic itself... Sounds crazy, and it does not happen immediately, so no one really knows the damage was done until years later in some cases...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why this happened... what I can tell you from working on other cars here are some things that I have learned over the years.

1) Never - Ever use Windex or ammonia based cleaners on the inside of your windshield. The vapors fall and when you wipe off the surface to clean the dash you end up removing a small amount of the oils that keep the dash soft. Eventually the dash dries out enough that it shrinks and causes cracks. This is one of those things that does not happen immediately, it may take years for it to show up, it really depends on the plastic itself. - Suggestion, use a microfiber cloth and a spray bottle of water to clean your windshield and windows.

2) Bad plastic from the get-go. Had an 07 Lumina that had the front plastic trim piece that was mis-manufactured. It warped and looked horrible. When I went to remove it I had to take it out in pieces and it literally crumbled in my hands like old dried out mud. I found a good one in a junkyard and simply replaced it.

3) some other chemical could have gotten on the dash and caused it to crack. I have seen things happen like this after a repaint. The vapors from the paint or even a solvent like lacquer thinner were enough to invade the interior and attack the plastic itself... Sounds crazy, and it does not happen immediately, so no one really knows the damage was done until years later in some cases...

Hope that helps.

Definitely feel like #2 is the case. Just bad/cheap plastic from the factory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman