Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I want to be a little proactive ans provide some support there before I get the dreaded cracks. When it does crack I will be doing a skin on it however I have been wondering how to install it in a way it can easily be removed...
The “skins” can’t be easily removed unfortunately. They need to be glued to the original dash in order to have any strength and not vibrate or rattle.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked. But once a skin is attached, does it obscure any of the attachment hardware? In other words, if you ever have to remove the dash, do you need to plan on purchasing a new skin (or new dash)?

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dash skin does not cover attaching hardware. But once attached it is on pretty good. I had 2 cracks, one infront of driver and one by passenger. Asa consquence it caused a "flap" of the dash in the middle to flap bounce etc... totally distracrting and annoying. I used the entire tube of silicone and a little of a second. Look at my thread....there are pics

I also TAPED DOWN THE CORNERS AND THEN WEIGHTED DOWN DASH SKIN- I PUT A MOVING BLANKET AND USED 10 LB WEIGHTS FROM A BARBELL AND QUART BOTTLES OF WATER OVERNIGHT....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dash skin does not cover attaching hardware. But once attached it is on pretty good. I had 2 cracks, one infront of driver and one by passenger. Asa consquence it caused a "flap" of the dash in the middle to flap bounce etc... totally distracrting and annoying. I used the entire tube of silicone and a little of a second. Look at my thread....there are pics

I also TAPED DOWN THE CORNERS AND THEN WEIGHTED DOWN DASH SKIN- I PUT A MOVING BLANKET AND USED 10 LB WEIGHTS FROM A BARBELL AND QUART BOTTLES OF WATER OVERNIGHT....
You can still remove the panel that goes across the front of the dash, by the defroster vents? Because all the ones I’ve seen covers that panel, and you have to remove that to access the 10 mm bolts across the front near the windshield as well as the wires up there that need to be unplugged.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about this piece, which is a separate part on the OEM dash. It unclips, and under it are (5) 10 mm bolts that attach the front edge of the dash to the metal sub frame.

81E-ee-570L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
While I like the option to cover the dash with something that looks close to factory I really think being able to remove it to service things would be a benefit. If faced with a cracked dash I think I would take my chance. Or.... modify the skin so I could get to the speaker and front panel if needed.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried using some hot glue but it only worked for about a month or 2. Im gonna try the popsicle sticks and crazy glue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts