Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried using some hot glue but it only worked for about a month or 2. Im gonna try the popsicle sticks and crazy glue

Why not use some sort of epoxy?

I tried fixes better than either of these including welding the plastic together with hot staples melted in to the plastic from behind combined with epoxy and 1/8” steel rods. It broke in a new area a few days later. Not worth it imo, by the time it cracks it’s so brittle that it will just keep doing it. Replace it with the new improved part or cover it up.

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried fixes better than either of these including welding the plastic together with hot staples melted in to the plastic from behind combined with epoxy and 1/8” steel rods. It broke in a new area a few days later. Not worth it imo, by the time it cracks it’s so brittle that it will just keep doing it. Replace it with the new improved part or cover it up.

im glad I read this. I was about to remove my dash tomorrow and epoxy threaded rod across the 3 cracks in my dash

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im glad I read this. I was about to remove my dash tomorrow and epoxy threaded rod across the 3 cracks in my dash
I mean you can try it but I give it a small chance of it lasting any time at all.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a carpet cover my dash so the cracks don't bother me it's all the rattling. I tried the glue cause my wife was using it on something and I just said **** it why not. but I did try crazy glue from jb weld and that didn't work.

tsltrek

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my quick and dirty zip tie repair. I just wanted the rattling to stop. I thought about using J-B Weld 50139 Plastic Bonder Body Panel Adhesive and Gap Filler...but the zip ties are good enough for now.

IMG_0738.jpg

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime this summer I'm going to replace the whole dash with a new one from GM.....it's not to bad of a job. Just sucks having to drop like $500 for it tho.

I will reenforce it before I install it and hope I get more then 10 years out of it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime this summer I'm going to replace the whole dash with a new one from GM.....it's not to bad of a job. Just sucks having to drop like $500 for it tho.

I will reenforce it before I install it and hope I get more then 10 years out of it.
That’s exactly what I did. I used 1/8” steel rods epoxied in the known trouble areas. Also the new parts have reinforcement added in those areas from the factory, seems they made some slight changes.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I did. I used 1/8” steel rods epoxied in the known trouble areas. Also the new parts have reinforcement added in those areas from the factory, seems they made some slight changes.

Well that's reassuring

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Dashskin worked for me. Easy Peasy and frankly... you don't notice it...