Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mentalattica

Reaction score
After sending Jennifer a request, I finally got a call from Tawanda (sp?) from GM Customer Service 5 days later (after reminding Jennifer that no one contacted me in the said 2 days). As usual, all of my experiences with GM Customer Service are about as pleasant as getting a colonoscopy, at the same time as a root canal while listening to the Best of Mili Vanilli.

Tawanda told me "There's nothing tied to your VIN that would indicate that this is a problem." I tried explaining that it's extremely common in GMT900s, referenced this thread, and other online sources. She wasn't remotely interested in visiting this thread (though I did link to it in my email I sent Jennifer T.). I would've thought with the power of social media Companies would be more interested in what people are saying online. Apparently not.

So she offered to set up an appointment at a dealer for me to go have it fixed and all I'd have to do is pay a diagnostic fee, ALONG with paying for the entire repair. I told her I'm not interested in paying to have it replaced because of the frequency this happens to these trucks (and I can do it myself for 1/5th of the cost). Long story short, she called the dealership to see if this is a problem they have any documentation on, called me back and said if this was a widespread problem it would be attached to my VIN and since they have no record of it there is nothing they would do short of having me pay them to replace it. Pretty unhelpful.

I got a laugh out of her asking if I've taken it to the dealer to have it diagnosed! I can see the service dept. now, "What you have is a cracked dash. That'll be $96.00."

mentalattica

Reaction score
Update:

I got a call from my local dealer today and they've agreed to replace the dash for $400. I'm not ecstatic, but all things considered, it's better than nothing. GMPartsDirect has the dash for $273 + about $70 shipping, so I think I'll bite the bullet and pay the $400. A $60 difference give or take to have the dealer do it. I would've been EXTREMELY happy at $200 or less.

Ahrgh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stopped by dealer and asked them about it. Rep stated they will replace the dash for free and gave me a driver for the afternoon. Came back later and bada bing - new dash. Really happy with this dealership for comming through. 2011 Tahoe with 20K miles. Now I have to go back for the check engine light.....

Reaction score
Mine also, but because GM uses cheap parts, my 2000 Ws6 has a cracked dash, and door panels, and Im the original owner, its stays in the garage and has 40,110 miles on it...

tammybrant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dashboard crack

I have a few and called gmc of course they could care less and said to bad....getting worse and one is on airbag....they better hope to god something like that crack doesn't set the bag off....they wont be driving jaguars and Bentleys no longer!:flamingdevil:

jdl_131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
add me to the list

anybody have a part number? I haven't been able to find it. Is this something i could repair myself or is it a huge pain?

one dealership guy told me that it is possible to have the crack repaired, anybody tried that?

strokinpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the part number but you can get it off GM parts direct for under $273.68. I just click body hardware and scroll down all the way and click view all parts diagrams and click the one with the dash on it and it's number 4 and whatever color you need.

Baysidebum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can repair it yourself if you take your time. I posted the steps I went through to replace mine in another thread. The new dash, whether you order it online or at the dealer, will come in a pretty large box as they pack them pretty well. I can't imagine they can be repaired on the surface without cracking again. When I removed mine, the cracks traced all the way back to the mounting bolts on the instrument hump and near the airbag - makes me believe the entire issue began with over-torqued bolts. My new dash was identical in design to the old one, so it doesn't appear that any design changes were made.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Read this thread for pics and basic instructions for dash replacement

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54372

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyfur

Latest posts