Front axle seal leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbb01

Reaction score
Thought I had a drivers side front axle seal leak...well that was changed twice...second time with a GM part and still a leak...albeit less then before but nonetheless a leak. Shop tells me that leak is probably coming from diff and that a bearing could be bad inside the diff. It does make a sound like a bad hub would make when 4WD engaged.
Not sure what to do as this truck has 191,000 miles on it. May just deal with slow leak and check fluid periodically. Any thoughts?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 191k on a stock front diff, I want to know what VooDoo your using. Granted most AWD front diff's make into the low 100k. Check your drain plug and see if has any kind of metal filings on it. The bearings do tend to go more often in the front diff. Did the shop put a speedy sleeve on the axle flange before he install the new seal? A speedy sleeve goes over the area of the flange the seal rides on. It give it a new smooth surface to seal too. If you old flange was grooved in any way it wouls still leak with a new seal.

OP
OP
J

jbb01

Reaction score
Not sure if he used a speedy sleeve. There was some metal filings on the drain plug but I figured it was normal? Yeah 191K on orig diff and trans. Im gambling right now I know but gotta hold out till 2015s come in. Even still don't want to buy brand new

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack