Free / Easy HP for 6.2L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is my first 6.2L as I have owned the 5.3 previous in a Silverado (99 NBS). I know there are usually things you can do fairly cheap or easy to clean up the intake or just little things here and there to make the engine run better and even pick up a hp or 2.

Anything with the 6.2L in the Denali that I can do on the cheap or easy and make a few more hp or mpg? Anything in the intake restriction wise or anything I should look at doing asap?

thanks!

John D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can get a K&N air filter. Under $30. Not much gain. If you want to spend under $1000. Cold air intake and throw on a high flow exhaust. Noticeable difference. If you want even better performance, go with a programmer. I did all three on my 2015 Tahoe. Woke up that dog 5.3. I traded that one for a 2017 Tahoe and acquired a 2017 Sierra Denali with the 6.2. I was not impressed with the 6.2 out of the box. I added the cold air intake box and exhaust to both. Not bad but could be better. I'm waiting for Diablo to come out with the 2017 GM programs to purchase for my I2 tuner. Then it will really wake both vehicles up. When I had the 2015, all three additions were an awesome upgrade to the performance. $$$$ All three can be under $1500.00.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For cheap, airaid MIT. Noticed a gain and sounds great. An oil catch can is a must. It might not help with performance but it definatly make yiu run cleaner and isle better. Also, a cheap high flow muffler and resonator delete (assuming you don't have AFM) will give you good sound but no real power gain. A mail order tune is the next best bang for your buck. You will be amazed how much it will help in engine power and transmission shifting. And in my case MPG. Your next cheapest real bang for buck is probably long tube headers and catless y pipe or true dual exhaust. Although, this requires a tune.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After that, gears and smaller, lighter tires/wheels will help with acceleration. Then maybe a cam if you must. Nitro and Forced induction are last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny

Latest posts