Frame wax coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali GMC 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. Still new here. Have a question. I have a 2008 Denali XL. The spare has been disposed of as well as the jack so the very rear is wide open to clean and paint or coat. My question is this. I pressure washed the undercarriage this morning with heavy duty Dawn. Worked great and cleaned it very well btw. Can the GM wax or equivalent to be sprayed over the rust?

I wouldn't imagine. The reason I ask is because there is still some areas from where the rear wheel well of the running board starts to the front of the running board where there is still wax then starts the rusty parts in the front frame section where exposed suspension is seen. My plan was to give it another round of peeling the wax that I can get and pressure washing and soap again. Then rustoleum paint. Will putting that paint over existing was that I didn't remove hurt? Looking for opinions. Thanks.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let it dry. Spray it with aerosol rust converter and let that dry. Then aplly again if needed and cover with either aerosol bed coating or undercoat (bed coating works better in my experience).

Give some time for curing over the summer......no rush. Then coat with some sort of non-drying rust inhibitor (I use FLUID FILM or LPS3). Touch up as needed yearly.

Used this on mu midwest vehicles for 20 years and have had no rust and easier repairs.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 3M undercoating product. Is very similar to what is on my frame from factory, maybe even the same...

Before I do that though I also got with rust converter and or rustoleum (industrial paint).

OP
OP
D

Denali GMC 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. So going with the rustoleum then. I was just worried it would encapsulate by spraying over the existing was. I had bought the rustoleum rusty primer and satin black already. Then I start thinking should I wax it. Lol jeez I overthink...

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to cover your finished product with some sort of oily film that keeps moisture out. Otherwise you'll be doing the dame thing constantly. Also, do yourself a favor and blow rust proofer in the rockers, fenders, and doors as needed. It's well worth the couple hour investment and $50 of supplies.

Talking from experience. Just got my 2008 Buick Lucerne back from the in-laws who don't care for shit......it's going to be my daughter's first ride. Well, I rust proofed it pretty well when I had it and after
4 years of COMPLETE neglect in MKE, it's now back here for repairs and I can honestly say it's still cleaner where it counts mechanically and cosmetically than anything of the same era and miles. It will definitely make the needed repairs a breeze.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use rust converter may companies have (Eastwood, POR 15 ,ect.) then spray wax film Sprayon LU710.

OP
OP
D

Denali GMC 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use atf with my 11 Grand caravan. I bought a small hand pump and have clear tubing I bought from Lowe's. I'll pump it in the bottoms of the doors, tailgate, rockers and wax everything still not rust. My GTO don't see bad weather. The Denali has good bones needs some TLC. Most of the frame rust that needs addressed is from the rear axle to the rear bumper.

I also ran a hose down the inside of the frame a few weeks ago as well to get the dirt out. Worked great. It's just I've read so many not so great things about the wax I wasn't sure if I left some areas on just painting over it satin black it it'd hurt. Also. I regularly do wash the undercarriage with water after winter to at least help a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts