Four Wheel Steering on a 2004 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

510man

Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly buying a 2004 2500 XL that has the optional four wheel steering. What is this option? How does it work? Is it reliable? Can I get parts? What other features on the truck does it change (e.g locking differential deleted?)? Can I swap the rear axle and remove it altogether?

I Google searched but didn't find much info on this option. I'm trying to find out if it's an example of GM over engineering that is best left off the truck, as in don't buy a truck with this feature on it.

Thanks for any comments.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it allows you to steer with all 4 wheels so you can maneuver a suv that size in tighter spaces. the rear wheels turn along with the front. i dont know much about it besides its not a common option. if your just looking for a suburban you can get one cheaper than a 4wheel steering version. my thoughts on this option is it adds extra moving failable parts that would be extremely hard to find replacement parts. just so i could turn sharper.... nope neat idea tho

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP

510man

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I found a write up on it and it gets good reviews. I'd add the link but the forum calls it spam and won't let me add the link.

It was a $5K(?) option, adds a lot of weight and widens the rear trac about 5". I just question whether or not I'll be able to get parts over the next 8-10 years if it ever needs repair .

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just question whether or not I'll be able to get parts over the next 8-10 years if it ever needs repair .

The only way to get parts is to pay $$$. There are no new parts for Quadrasteer, unless you get lucky and find some NOS. Further, the 2002 year seems to be different than all the other years, so be careful when you do acquire parts. As an aside, don't forget to have the rear wheels aligned as well when having the front wheels aligned. When quadrasteer does die, the system locks them straight. So you'd still have a 2500, even if quadrasteer fails.

I have a 2005 Suburban LT 2500 with Quadrasteer, and highly recommend it.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Old customer of mine had a Quadra steer burban. Had 200k ish miles on it. Never caused him an issue but he did take very very good care of that car. Always kept up on maintenance. I always loved that thing. It's hokey. You know you're driving a suburban but the thing is NIMBLE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz