Fluid leak at Master Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
I have a leak between the fluid reservoir and the master cylinder. It looks like the front o-ring is leaking.

Is the o-ring replaceable, or should I just get a new master cylinder? It seems as though the rest of the system is working properly.

It's a 99 Denali, all stock brake stuff, except pads and rotors which are Napa brand parts.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
YOur better off getting a new master. I dont even think you can get the orings anyways

OP
OP

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have priced out new masters, and they aren't that expensive. I will give my local Napa Auto a call in the morning and see if they know of a rebuild kit.

@sunlitcomet
If Napa can't get the rebuild kit, do you know of a place local (I live in Discovery Bay) that I can order from? Or an online vendor?

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can even try Autozone and pepboys, Napa should be able to cross that dorman number

OP
OP

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
Just looked at the Dorman part, and it looks like it's just the cap and gasket that fits into the cap.

Napa doesn't show a rebuild kit, so I am thinking it's going to be a new master.

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can prolly pop out the reservoir, take out the two o-rings and get replacements from Napa I would think.

Or buy the new m/c take out the o-rings and return it as a defect. < Don't recommend that option but just throwing it out there.

OP
OP

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
I did some research today. A rebuild kit is like 30 bucks. I can get a reman unit from Napa for 40, and a brand new one for 50ish. I am thinking a new one is going to be installed this weekend.

I am thinking that I will be spending at least 20 bucks of my time doing the rebuild, as I would rebuild the whole unit, not just replace the o-rings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia