Flex fuel bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cody08

Reaction score
I'm getting the code for the flex fuel sensor and have seen a few companies who make a bypass sensor for this. Is there a specific company out there you guys recommend?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s just measures the ethanol content of the fuel. If you have access to a scan to tool with the capabilities you can recalibrate it. Simple as that.

If you’re near the Gainesville Florida area I can do it for you.

OP
OP
cody08

cody08

Reaction score
I am in KS or I would take you up on that. Does it have to be the dealer one or will like a Matco one work?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t have to be the dealer. I have a Matco Maximus2.0 and it has the capabilities to get the job done.

OP
OP
cody08

cody08

Reaction score
I believe that's what we have at the shop as well, I'll have to look tomorrow. Is there a video or walk through somewhere online?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I wish I knew that it could have been recalibrated. I dropped some coin on this:

http://www.pointaengineering.com/Fl...for-GM-GMC-Products-CLICK-FOR-INFO-000001.htm

Which I must admit knocked out the light and smoothed out the engine perfectly in 5 minutes.

Mine's a Flexfuel and I have no problems with it, AFAIK. I do have a random slightly rough idle, though. I don't use E85 and I can't say for sure if I've ever even seen E85 pumps in my area. E0 or E10 is the norm and max at every pump I've been to. I average 16.xx MPG combined city/highway which I thought was about as good as it could get. Could this replicator improve MPG beyond that? Smoothing out the idle would be a bonus. But I just chalked that up to it having 185K miles and maybe some internal carbon buildup causing it.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's a Flexfuel and I have no problems with it, AFAIK. I do have a random slightly rough idle, though. I don't use E85 and I can't say for sure if I've ever even seen E85 pumps in my area. E0 or E10 is the norm and max at every pump I've been to. I average 16.xx MPG combined city/highway which I thought was about as good as it could get. Could this replicator improve MPG beyond that? Smoothing out the idle would be a bonus. But I just chalked that up to it having 185K miles and maybe some internal carbon buildup causing it.

Not sure about the NNBS, but the NBS flex fuel vehicles have a sensor that is crazy expensive (it senses when there is E85 flowing). When the sensor goes out, it can fail to always think there is E85 in the tank. The result is a poorly-running vehicle and a check engine light. This device tells the computer that there is regular gasoline in the vehicle no matter what... It is not advised to run E85 with this device connected (who runs it, anyway?!?!).

I don't think this would help get you 'even better' mileage.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score

One other thing... Change your plugs if you haven't recently. And while they're out, use one of those USB endoscopes to look at the inside of the cylinder to be sure there isn't a lot of buildup.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the NNBS, but the NBS flex fuel vehicles have a sensor that is crazy expensive (it senses when there is E85 flowing). When the sensor goes out, it can fail to always think there is E85 in the tank. The result is a poorly-running vehicle and a check engine light. This device tells the computer that there is regular gasoline in the vehicle no matter what... It is not advised to run E85 with this device connected (who runs it, anyway?!?!).

I don't think this would help get you 'even better' mileage.

Yeah, I didn't think you stumbled upon a way to improve MPG with a simple plug-in device. So, those getting better MPG had lost MPG due to a failure in the system and this device simply fixed that and restored the MPG they had lost. Thanks for the explanation.

One other thing... Change your plugs if you haven't recently. And while they're out, use one of those USB endoscopes to look at the inside of the cylinder to be sure there isn't a lot of buildup.

I've pulled a plug from each bank and they looked and measured out fine. I may still change them just cuz. I have a crappy borescope that I stuck down in there. The resolution sucked, but I didn't like what I could see. It may actually not be so bad or it could be worse. I'll try lighting it up better in there next time to get a better view. In the meantime, I'm gonna research this "USB endoscope"...

Thanks for the input.