Flex-a-Lite elec. fans switch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, so i recently just installed flex-a-lite electric fans in the tahoe and they work grreat, i cant tell you how much better the truck responds runs and gets better mileage over the lame ass clutch driven fan!!! anyway ill make this quick
t he fans came with an alternating speed controller thingy for variable speed when the ac is on blah blah blah... i wanted to control them myself so i just hooked them up to a toggle switch, with a fuse and my problem is the the first fuse popped after about running for about 20 min straight. on my way back from school, still with a popped fuse i said hey ill turn them on for a bit... my swith got hot and popped too. so im on my 3rd switch since they keep blowing and i only can run them for about 10 min or so before the switch heats up and i kill power.
im thinking maybe the direct 12-14volts of power is too much for my switch? opinions would be great on what to do. i want to keep them on a toggle switch so i can cool down after the trucks off. thanks alot!

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not the 12-14volts thats killing your switch and fuse. its the amperage.

what gauge wire and value fuse are you running to the fans? its never a good idea to run bigger fuses than what the manufacture suggests but some times running proper size wire makes a huge difference.

post up what the values are and i can give you am idea. you might need some relays with that switch and run direct to battery

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
not sure what gauge but its all what came with the fans, same with the fuse. the only thing not used from the fan kit was the switch. and its already running directly from the battery.

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hook up a relay so that will take the load and that should solve your problems.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each of those fans should of come with its own relay, and your add-on switch should be toggling the negative coil (85) of each relay.

With your switch, are you feeding 12V to the relays or to the fans? If you are feeding the fans, then that is the most likely reason why you are burning up the switch. As the others have stated, you have put the amp draw on the switch instead of the relays.

I would personally do 2 relays for each fan:

86 - Switched (IGN) 12V
85 - Ground triggers (AC, your switch, etc...diode isolate if needed)
30 - 12v straight from battery (nice thick gauge here, proper fuse)
87 - 12V to fans (nice thick gauge here)

On the fan(s) side, permanently ground its ground wires.

Your setup may vary, but this is typically how oem electric fans are wired up. If you REALLY want to run the fans with the truck off, than make the positive (86) coil of the relay a constant 12v instead of a switched IGN 12V.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
thanks omar, i did a relay set up to my own switch and it works great, switch still gets a little warm but o well, im going to be getting OEM fans in the future anyway when i do a motor swap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper