First year model peace of mind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP Manor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yea I agree. My 2016 Denali has been my only GM truck I’ve had any issues with, and they were all stupid electrical ones. I agree on the last gen about regretting trading it in. I drove my 2011 Burb for 85k mikes with absolutely zero issues... Not one

OP
OP
K

kameronth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To follow up with my tail light post. I had finished doing the exhaust flapper mod, and when I started the Yukon to back it out of the garage, I noticed the passenger tail light was out. I hit it a few times with my hand and it would intermittently work. The LED tail lights are a sealed unit and a replacement is $500+..

After an online search, it appears this is an issue with all 2015+ Yukon models. What is happening is the thin metal that connects each LED on the sealed inside of the light is cracking. I pulled my passenger tail light off, melted the plastic with a soldering iron around each area that is known for the cracking issues and found the bottom side was completely cracked and the upper side was starting to form a crack. Even though the driver side was still working, I did the same and sure enough, cracks had formed on that as well. It wasn't if, but when it would fail.

Some people were soldering a piece of wire as a jumper to each side. I found it easier and cleaner to just run a bead of solder up the original piece without adding a piece of wire. I completely spaced taking before photos, so the first photo I borrowed from online, showing the exact same crack I had. The rest of the photos are mine, show the solder repair, as well as closing them up. I just used Gorilla Tape and silicon on the seams of the tape. They work great now!
pic-2941893953112175197-1600x1200.jpeg
IMG_1229resize.JPG
IMG_1230resize.JPG
IMG_1231resize.JPG
IMG_1235resize.JPG

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting all that detailed information Kam! I have noticed a sprinkling of 2015+Yukon's [and even Tahoe's] with non working tail lights.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... I've been a member since 2013 but I don't post very often.

....All 3 of these have been my wife's primary vehicles (I drive a Ford diesel.. I know), used as a daily driver, towing and regularly see -30 to -40f temps with our winters. My across the board complaint with all 3 of these is they have the cheapest/ thinnest paint jobs I've ever seen on a car.

What it boils down to is this, don't be afraid to purchase 1st year run GM's. I've done it 3 times already and will happily do it again in the future. They have all treated me well, and I'm a Ford guy!

Curious where you live, given those temperatures? And thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really think it depends. If it’s a new model with a new engine, trans, suspension etc then it’s certainly more prudent to give it s year before jumping in. But either way it’s covered under warranty. Just depends on how nice your dealer waiting room is lol

Just think, soon, you'll have your own first model year experience with your 2020 Denali!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just think, soon, you'll have your own first model year experience with your 2020 Denali!

Picking up a new RR Sport tomorrow for the wife. We’ll see how I like them...Interior is incredible. Makes the denali leather feel like low quality naugahyde lol

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picking up a new RR Sport tomorrow for the wife. We’ll see how I like them...Interior is incredible. Makes the denali leather feel like low quality naugahyde lol

I’m sure it’ll be nice, but we’ll have to see what the next Denali will bring. GM has a lot of skin in the game always, but even more so this time around. I don’t think they’ll disappoint and I bet they hit it out of the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk