First year model peace of mind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kameronth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So... I've been a member since 2013 but I don't post very often.

A lot of the threads I've come across tell others to avoid 2015 model years or any 1st model year runs. While there may be some valid points to that, I wanted to inform others that may be lurking here and thinking about potentially purchasing a 1st model year run of my experiences with GM 1st model year runs.

2007 blue Tahoe 4x4(1st year): I kick myself everyday for trading this thing in. I should've just kept it as a "beater". I bought it in 2012 with 50k miles and traded it in with 120k miles. Besides routine maintenance the only issue I ever had with it was a leaky front axle seal at 90k miles. (it was 4x4 and I bought it with the 22's but changed them out after moving up north)
tahoe1.jpg

2015 white Yukon Denali 4x4(1st year, early run - 6 speed transmission): I purchased this one in 2016 with 58k miles. Besides routine maintenance it did drop a valve and was covered under warranty - the dealership said it was a bad valve casting and did no further damage so they only replaced that valve. I traded it in with 90k miles. Wife wanted an XL because of the new baby.
ENZWE8154.JPG
2015 black Yukon Denali XL 4x4 (1st year, late run 8 speed transmission): I purchased this one in 2018 with 27k miles and still own it. Currently it has 32k miles and it's had zero issues besides a service parking assist error after another car backed into the bumper.
IMG_9616.JPG

All 3 of these have been my wife's primary vehicles (I drive a Ford diesel.. I know), used as a daily driver, towing and regularly see -30 to -40f temps with our winters. My across the board complaint with all 3 of these is they have the cheapest/ thinnest paint jobs I've ever seen on a car.

What it boils down to is this, don't be afraid to purchase 1st year run GM's. I've done it 3 times already and will happily do it again in the future. They have all treated me well, and I'm a Ford guy!

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree! I have come to realize it truly all about luck! I know many people that bought new models and NEVER HAD A SINGLE ISSUE while others have second, third, fourth year models and have nothing but issues. So odd!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really think it depends. If it’s a new model with a new engine, trans, suspension etc then it’s certainly more prudent to give it s year before jumping in. But either way it’s covered under warranty. Just depends on how nice your dealer waiting room is lol

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really think it depends. If it’s a new model with a new engine, trans, suspension etc then it’s certainly more prudent to give it s year before jumping in. But either way it’s covered under warranty. Just depends on how nice your dealer waiting room is lol

I always felt the same way but it seems that is not the case as the OP has pointed out. I was always scared of first year models but close to 10 years ago I did buy a used 07 Denali (first year) with like 80k and it was more reliable then my 17 Escalade THAT I BOUGHT NEW! Let that sink in for a minute, a used 07 Denali with 80k was more reliable, literally oil changes, brakes and tires. Sad.....

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always felt the same way but it seems that is not the case as the OP has pointed out. I was always scared of first year models but close to 10 years ago I did buy a used 07 Denali (first year) with like 80k and it was more reliable then my 17 Escalade THAT I BOUGHT NEW! Let that sink in for a minute, a used 07 Denali with 80k was more reliable, literally oil changes, brakes and tires. Sad.....

The 17 was a third year model...Im not sure I’m totally following your point?

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 17 was a third year model...Im not sure I’m totally following your point?

The 07 (first year model) with 80k was more reliable by a long shot to my current 2017 (bought new) that was not a first year model.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My across the board complaint with all 3 of these is they have the cheapest/ thinnest paint jobs I've ever seen on a car.
I have a thousand "scratches" that only appear in a certain light at a certain angle. One person said it was from my brushing snow off it. A very reputable paint shop said, no, the paint feels as smooth as glass...it was a deteriorating clear coat. The factory paint job I wanted (take off everything, strip it to bare metal)...would be in the $8,000 range...to just "forgetaboutit"..."drive it and/or sell it".

OP
OP
K

kameronth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I cursed myself with this post! I have a tail light out now. Looks to be a common problem with 15 16 models. I’ll open it up tomorrow and solder it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645