First big road trip (towing and camping), things to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make these now? Now more money I need to spend on trinkets. What do you recommend? I have a single axle boat trailer.
For the new trucks, they have it available from the factory!!

This is not a kit I recommend, but for example...

https://www.campingworld.com/tireminder-trailer-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms-4-tire-kit-110712.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign={Campaign}&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhr2FBhDbARIsACjwLo358CLIls57c8l1K4MB7e97CnwUr611gnz-Odv0M5L-t9muOsqcYvQaArYREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
T

TheRook

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tow a 6500 lb. trailer with our 2012 XL Denali and used to tow one that was almost identical to yours, so I can offer a few things for you, perhaps.

If your truck has the oil coolers on both ends of the radiator, it will be helpful. The one on the driver's side is for the engine oil and the one on the passenger side is for the transmission. With the HD trailering package, you should also have the additional transmission cooler in front of the radiator and A/C condenser. Pulling across the midwest's rolling hills in the summer with the usual westbound headwind, your coolant temperature will start to climb on the gauge, and your transmission temp will climb with it. The same will be true as you get into the Rockies in either Wyoming or Montana, depending on your route. 2 years ago, I watched an F-150 blow an engine (huge billows of blue/white smoke, not steam) on westbound I-80 outside of Rock Springs pulling a big cargo trailer into a 30 mph headwind, after he passed me like I was standing still. I was taking it easy at 65, in my '07 Denali and had no trouble at all. You'll get there. Your coolant won't boil until 265º and your transmission temp will likely hover around 210-235º depending on the terrain and winds, with peaks as high as 250º after crossing a big pass. Ignore the many charts on the Internet that say you gotta keep the transmission below 175º or it'll blow. Those charts are for 1970's vintage transmissions and fluids. Modern transmissions and Dexron VI fluid can handle much more, so the engineers designed that into our trucks - this directly from a GM powertrain engineer. Trust your truck and the engineers who designed it.

As far as things to do before you go, this would be my list:
  • Have all fluids changed (engine, transmission, differentials and transfer case), as swathdiver suggests
  • Replace the plastic heater hose coolant tees at the firewall with OEM (not Dorman or any other aftermarket brand). These are a common failure point and yours have aged out if they haven't been replaced.
  • Might as well replace all belts and hoses while you have the coolant drained. Check the water pump for leaks, and replace if any seepage at all, with OEM only.
  • When you have the belts off, spin the tensioner pulleys by hand to make sure there is no play, and that the bearings roll smoothly. If not, replace both.
  • Check your oil and transmission cooler lines for seepage (common), and replace as needed.
  • Pay close attention to your oil pressure readings right now. If your gauge shows 20 or below at hot idle, it's time to replace the screen below the oil pressure sender, which sits behind the intake manifold.
  • Your motor mounts are likely getting weak. Might be worth having both replaced with mounts for an H3 Hummer V8 (solid, not fluid filled, and way more durable). There are many threads here on which ones to get. If your shop won't use your parts, then make sure they use either the H3 mounts or OEM. Forget aftermarket mounts - they won't last.
  • Plugs and wires, if they haven't been done.
  • Front sway bar links with better than OEM. This will make a big difference in handling with a trailer.
  • If your trailer has "China bomb" tires on it, take it to Discount Tire and have Goodyear Endurance tires installed. You don't want to risk a failure on a single axle trailer.
  • Check the date codes on the sidewall of your Tahoe's tires. It's a 4 digit code with the first 2 digits indicating the week of manufacture (01-52) and the 2nd two indicating year. You want your tires to be newer than 5 years old for a trip like that. I see that you also have different brand tires on the front and rear. Make sure you have identical tires on either end of both axles. It's okay to mix/match front to rear, but not side to side. Ideally, I'd want all 4 tires to be identical and new.
  • Check your brake pads front and rear.
That's about all I can think of for now. Have a great trip and enjoy the drive!

Thanks again for all of the information! If my truck is already equipped with the HD trailering package K5L/KNP, do I still need the Tru-Cool transmission fluid cooler? I'm not a mechanic, so is that something I could ask him to do?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make these now? Now more money I need to spend on trinkets. What do you recommend? I have a single axle boat trailer.

Do as I say, not as I do... :)

I had a tandem axle trailer, so I just kept looking furtively in the rearview mirror trying to pick up the flying debris from a tire slowly coming apart back there and hoping I caught it soon enough that something wasn't on fire before I stopped. Also, it was a long time ago and they weren't as common as they are today. I think I would just do the normal product search in the category and pick one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all of the information! If my truck is already equipped with the HD trailering package K5L/KNP, do I still need the Tru-Cool transmission fluid cooler? I'm not a mechanic, so is that something I could ask him to do?
Heat kills, that's the bottom line. Adding the tru-cool is not hard at all with a few hand tools you can do it right in your driveway. just throw down some old cardboard under the area you are working you might loose a few teaspoons of residual trans fluid, it wont just pour out it's all down in the pan.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat kills, that's the bottom line. Adding the tru-cool is not hard at all with a few hand tools you can do it right in your driveway. just throw down some old cardboard under the area you are working you might loose a few teaspoons of residual trans fluid, it wont just pour out it's all down in the pan.

The 6L80/6L90 are designed for a normal operating temperature of 190°-200° F.

If you're running a monster trans cooler, which keeps it at 140° even in the middle of summer, you're probably doing as much, or more, damage as running it too hot. At the very least, the trans needs to get hot enough to boil off any water in the fluid from condensation,especially important if your vehicle isn't garaged. Never mind the negative effects of colder, thicker oil that might not flow as well as the designers intended.

And by "too hot" I mean like over 250. Hell, the "trans hot, idle engine" warning only comes on around 262-265°.

I've pulled trailers as heavy as 8600 lb, in the Rockies, over the Continental Divide, and through the Eisenhower Tunnel (elev 11,100 ft). I "only" have the stock cooler, and I've seen temps as high as 243°, according to the DIC.

My Suburban has 208k miles on its original transmission, and it still functions perfectly.

The key, IMHO, is not keeping the fluid cool, but fluid changes. Full flush, 16 quarts, done by the dealer as often as necessary, based on duty cycle. On mine, sometimes that's been a 30k mile interval.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6L80/6L90 are designed for a normal operating temperature of 190°-200° F.

If you're running a monster trans cooler, which keeps it at 140° even in the middle of summer, you're probably doing as much, or more, damage as running it too hot. At the very least, the trans needs to get hot enough to boil off any water in the fluid from condensation,especially important if your vehicle isn't garaged. Never mind the negative effects of colder, thicker oil that might not flow as well as the designers intended.

And by "too hot" I mean like over 250. Hell, the "trans hot, idle engine" warning only comes on around 262-265°.

I've pulled trailers as heavy as 8600 lb, in the Rockies, over the Continental Divide, and through the Eisenhower Tunnel (elev 11,100 ft). I "only" have the stock cooler, and I've seen temps as high as 243°, according to the DIC.

My Suburban has 208k miles on its original transmission, and it still functions perfectly.

The key, IMHO, is not keeping the fluid cool, but fluid changes. Full flush, 16 quarts, done by the dealer as often as necessary, based on duty cycle. On mine, sometimes that's been a 30k mile interval.
not everybody drives like gramma, without a cooler or deep pan my transmission temps would be 220-230 just driving and I could easily make it go higher, yes the new fluid is made is to work in higher temps but no reason to make it run hot when it can be addressed.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not everybody drives like gramma, without a cooler or deep pan my transmission temps would be 220-230 just driving and I could easily make it go higher, yes the new fluid is made is to work in higher temps but no reason to make it run hot when it can be addressed.

If your trans goes to 220-230 with the stock cooler while "just driving," you have a problem with your truck. Unless you're driving across Death Valley in the summer and it's 125° ambient temperature.

Stock cooler will keep the trans 100° over ambient. The only way I get it higher than that is towing heavy with high engine revs. The trans pump is on the input shaft, so if you're winding the engine pulling a long/steep grade, heat will build.

I basically drive my truck like I stole it. I usually cruise at 90-95 on the highway, especially on long road trips, I routinely do WOT runs from stoplights, and I've had it up to 120 mph indicated. None of this ever spikes the trans temps.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your trans goes to 220-230 with the stock cooler while "just driving," you have a problem with your truck. Unless you're driving across Death Valley in the summer and it's 125° ambient temperature.

Stock cooler will keep the trans 100° over ambient. The only way I get it higher than that is towing heavy with high engine revs. The trans pump is on the input shaft, so if you're winding the engine pulling a long/steep grade, heat will build.

I basically drive my truck like I stole it. I usually cruise at 90-95 on the highway, especially on long road trips, I routinely do WOT runs from stoplights, and I've had it up to 120 mph indicated. None of this ever spikes the trans temps.
lol, apparently my foot is much heavier than yours both my 2012 and my 2018 "did" the same thing, the only exception was my 2wd 2003 silverado I could beat on that thing all day long and it would maybe go to 200, with the B&M deep pan and tru-cool the max I have seen them get to is 180, typically they both now hang around 145-165 and that is with the thermostat fixed open on the 2018 as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu