Finally upgraded my fogs to Rigid D2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe_Rx

Reaction score
Did you all have to remove the bumper entirely to get to the fogs or just part of the wheelwell liners? Also got my two sets today. Very bright and clean beams of light but surprised how small the beams are even for those versions.... Maybe saving that issue for combo lightbar with floods to cover that aspect but I am happy with them. Also they are very heavy but I like that, shows quality.
Don’t have to remove the bumper. Just remove the wheel liner and turn the tire in towards the car on the side you are working on. It will give you plenty of space to get in there.

ComputernerdBD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all, completed my install yesterday and getting to them was easier than expected, just didnt use the fog lights harness as planned as the one from Gen5DIY I will have to followup as the fogs didn't work properly for some reason with it installed. Just waiting for my 8 switch panel from Amazon to arrive to permanently connect it all up and I would trust that over the fogs harness anyway especially the wire gauge. I used the harnesses that came with the lights but for testing used a Y-connector on the stronger one so one switch works. Really like how the Tahoe has the bus bar on the battery and making it easy to connect new devices (just had to add the M8x1.25 nut for the spare stud) but hard at the same time to find a ground near the fuse box.... I wired this up just for testing and used a bolt under the battery tray blank which was a mistake as found the connector hot when it was done. In retrospect the spots/hyperspots are nice and give me what I was looking for with long range light straight ahead but I am going to get a lightbar too to fill in some of the blanks. Just have to fine tune the aiming. IMHO these trucks (Z71) should come with lights like this from the factory.

Also this was one of the rare times when my IT background crosses over into a DIY truck project. I used to in my previous function among other things run CAT6/fiber drops through cable trays in the building and we used fiberglass rods to do that due to cramped spaces and to save time. I ended up picking up a set from Home Depot and found it works well getting through the firewall grommet but on mine it was made easier as I have the Kicker amp in the trunk which the dealer installed when I bought the truck so the slit is already there. The only issue is getting it past the black box but after some careful maneuvering on both sides it gets through. Much better than the coat hanger as it is thicker, many reduced sharp edges to protect wiring and includes connectors for the end to avoid snagging and also to be able to pull wires through.

P.S. Yes I just noticed the fallen owl plush in the first photo peeking under the hood, that was not staged or intentional in any way as it just so happened I made a hard turn and later fixed it....... You all are welcome to laugh at it if you want.

Attachments

• 20210925_160158.jpg
    20210925_160158.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210925_220524.jpg
    20210925_220524.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210925_224938.jpg
    20210925_224938.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210926_014110.jpg
    20210926_014110.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210926_014121.jpg
    20210926_014121.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 46

Omag321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found this thread after trying to find a way to include my Rigid Fogs on my tahoe. You guys did exactly what i was looking for, so thanks!

Just a quick question. Do you guys have any OUPUT pictures? My concern is that the fogs are so low, they dont cover everything. Thanks, and great installs

Tahoe_Rx

Reaction score
I found this thread after trying to find a way to include my Rigid Fogs on my tahoe. You guys did exactly what i was looking for, so thanks!

Just a quick question. Do you guys have any OUPUT pictures? My concern is that the fogs are so low, they dont cover everything. Thanks, and great installs
It all depends which beam pattern of the rigid D2s you use.. I have some output photos I will upload later. The rigid SAE/DOT approved fogs truly work as fog lights. Meaning they have a hard cut off intentionally so that they do not blind oncoming traffic and can be aimed down to provide great fog and peripheral lightning. I also have the flood pattern D2s installed next to the fog and they put out a ton of light and completely cover your entire field of vision. It does not matter that they are installed low on the truck, they light up everything in sight. But are obviously blinding to oncoming traffic so I exclusively use them on farm roads, camping, hunting etc.

Tahoe_Rx

Reaction score

56A8A836-F76C-4D08-BC45-878179631320.jpeg

Attachments

• 19708463-0165-4090-8EAF-D992D2D126BE.jpeg
    19708463-0165-4090-8EAF-D992D2D126BE.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 837D4965-473B-417D-95CB-66E25C7371DE.jpeg
    837D4965-473B-417D-95CB-66E25C7371DE.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 28

Omag321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First photo is factory headlights alone, second photo is factory head lights plus rigid fog lights, third photo is rigid flood light installed next to fogs.
That is exactly what i was looking for. I like the hard cutoff and being able to drive with the Rigid lights on all the time while still brigher than the useless stock foglights we have now. The 3rd picture is exactly what I am looking for also. Its a lot of back roads and no one on them and no lights to help. So lighting up everything is my goal. Do you mind me asking which model numbers you have? I would love to mirror exactly what you have on my 15 Tahoe.

Thanks so much BTW for all the information and pictures.

Tahoe_Rx

Reaction score
That is exactly what i was looking for. I like the hard cutoff and being able to drive with the Rigid lights on all the time while still brigher than the useless stock foglights we have now. The 3rd picture is exactly what I am looking for also. Its a lot of back roads and no one on them and no lights to help. So lighting up everything is my goal. Do you mind me asking which model numbers you have? I would love to mirror exactly what you have on my 15 Tahoe.

Thanks so much BTW for all the information and pictures.
I have the d series pro flood surface mount (sku 202113) and the d series SAE fog light (sku 504813).

Omag321

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the d series pro flood surface mount (sku 202113) and the d series SAE fog light (sku 504813).
Many thanks for the information. Just saved me a ton of research! Now i just have to wait for the KD fabworks to be back in stock

ComputernerdBD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a followup to my install I have since also installed a single row Rough Country 30" single row LED light bar however due to the active aero shutters, I was not able to put it behind the grille and didn't want to anyway as the grille would be an obstruction. Also my goal is not to make any modifications to this truck that involve drilling or damage to any factory hardware, so a roof LED bar is not my thing (not just the holes in the A pillar, also due to wind noise, height and too obvious/easy for thieves and cops).

I actually bought from Amazon some motorcycle handlebar brackets which fit the tow hooks of all things and attached the bar there. Fits and works really well, was also really easy to rig up. I accept any laughs at my expense on this, I realize that may not be everyone's preference..... Another consideration here were height above the ground and the parking sensors for which this doesn't seem to cause any issues. A brush guard would have helped for the lighting but not so much on the skid plate and sensors.

My next step is going to be ditch lights and already ordered the brackets from Apoc Industries. Going to see if I can get a round 4-6" pod LEDs will fit. Thanks

Tahoe LED Setup.jpg