faulty condenser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chartersj

Reaction score
The a/c stopped working in our 2017 Yukon, 70,000kms. GM diagnosed it as a leaking condenser. They said its a common problem with them but is no recall and quoted me $1100 to replace it but they are on back order and no idea when they will have a replacement. So I am wondering if there is a reliable aftermarket option available? And does the whole front end have to come off to replace it?

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an autozone condenser. They have better welds than the GM.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The a/c stopped working in our 2017 Yukon, 70,000kms. GM diagnosed it as a leaking condenser. They said its a common problem with them but is no recall and quoted me $1100 to replace it but they are on back order and no idea when they will have a replacement. So I am wondering if there is a reliable aftermarket option available? And does the whole front end have to come off to replace it?
Uh. Call GM customer service. This part may be covered under a service bulletin.

OP
OP
C

chartersj

Reaction score
Uh. Call GM customer service. This part may be covered under a service bulletin.
There is a service bulletin but it comes down to individual serial #'s not models and mine is not covered apparently. Seems ridiculous and that is why they are on back order because of how high in demand they are. I want to go aftermarket but if they end up issuing a recall and covering previous job costs I'm guessing they wont cover an aftermarket job

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "AutoZone Condenser" is actually a SPECTRA Part # 7-4283 - (IMO it is far superior in build quality to O.E. (low bar, I know)). Available myriad places and generally much less expensively than AZ. Maybe not the cheapest outlet, but Amazon, for example is at $127.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is the older generation and my daughters removed the bumper cover to help me replace the condenser.

If you want to replace it yourself, you'll need a manifold set and a vacuum pump. Probably about $150 for both a Harbor Freight. Might need an adapter at local auto parts stores to work with little cans of refrigerant.

It is my understanding that the transmission cooler is part of this so you'll probably want the little Jiffy-Tite tool to release the lines easily rather than chasing a clip with a pic.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Mitchell labor software shows 1.0 hour remove and replace labor on the condenser and adds 1.4 hours for evacuation and recharge. (Used a 2017 Yukon for example, but should be vis a vie Yukon/Tahoe 15-21).
So....even if a shop were to sell at double the cost of the better-than-GM condenser ($250) and add 2.4 hours labor at a rate of, let's say $150/per ($360) and 2# of refrigerant (has undergone a VAST Bran'don cost upheaval) but worst case, maybe $40.
So...$700-ish ($250 + $360 + $40 plus taxes) should get folks in most parts of the country back on the road. YRMV.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I recall back when this faulty condenser/replacement shortage kinda first started, a member discovered that a stock one from a truck (Silverado, Sierra?) was nearly identical and, IIRC, only needed very minor modification to a mounting bracket or plastic piece in the core support or some small item like that.

But, if the direct replacement aftermarket one from AutoZone is superior to OE and is available, I'd go with that one.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with one from AutoZone. Comes with a warranty and was in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork