Factory Trans Cooler any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw some similar threads, but I didn't want to hijack.

My 05 has the factory tow package and trans cooler in front of the condenser. Is there an upgrade for this or is this a pretty good unit. I tow and have not seen the temps get too high (gauge added), but I know the worst enemy of the trans is the heat and could always be a little cooler.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really up to you Dan. Some are fine with it, others who get up into the hills and mountains during the summer need more. The 4-speeds normal operating range is 180-200 and the message doesn't come on until 270 or 277, can't remember which. The transcooler's greatest enemy is corrosion of the lines and contaminates clogging the passages. This is why GM flushes these when doing a fluid exchange.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
over the course of the times when you were pulling a trailer if the temps stayed in the temp range swath suggested you should be fine. unless ofcourse you have plans in the future to up the weight your pulling then that could raise the question again. also yes temperatures play a big factor in transmission life but at the same time so does swaths other comment. your transmission operates and is cooled by the transmission fluid. so if you have even partial blockages slowing or even stopping the fluid the transmission will start chewing itself apart and overheating. proper service intervals will play a bigger factor on your transmission life. unless ofcourse its never actually been serviced then servicing it at that point could spell disaster.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really up to you Dan. Some are fine with it, others who get up into the hills and mountains during the summer need more. The 4-speeds normal operating range is 180-200 and the message doesn't come on until 270 or 277, can't remember which. The transcooler's greatest enemy is corrosion of the lines and contaminates clogging the passages. This is why GM flushes these when doing a fluid exchange.

I cant recall what temps it has been running with the trailer hooked up. It doesnt get really hot, but I think it hovers around 200 - maybe a little higher. I have a 30 minute tow this weekend in our Florida heat and I will note it. I am going to be doing a fluid swap next week and figured it would be a good time to change of needed.

I do really hate cutting lines and clamping a universal one in there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted after the tow as to how it went. Those brackets are a nifty idea but boy is that cooler huge. I've never towed with an automatic so I don't know if that's too much or just right for pulling something through the Rockies in the summer.

My truck on the highway, not towing, but full of stuff hangs in the 150s when it's 93 outside. Last August I was in stop and go traffic and it went up into the 190s and it was 100 outside that day, on the way home from having the fluid exchange done.

Last December I raced the truck and made two back to back passes and at the end of the second run it was in the 190s again. I let it set for an hour and then made my last pass, when I started it up it was in the 170s still. I was thinking of putting a little fan on it but it probably would have been more profitable had I just idled the truck a while to bring the temp down. I'm pretty sure with the Tech2 one can command the fans on to full power so that is another option when we race again.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
running it too cold is also not great either dan so just try to pay attention to where its running

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably leave it routed through the radiator, so that it will reach operating temperature as normal.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a large aux cooler can still pull the temp below operating temps. but yes i would recommend leaving it routed through the radiator to help keep the temp at the normal.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a large aux cooler can still pull the temp below operating temps. but yes i would recommend leaving it routed through the radiator to help keep the temp at the normal.

We ran into another torrential storm yesterday where all the wimps slow down to 35 in the right lane or pull over and put their flashers on. I had the trans temp up, it was 156 and 93 outside (usual) before we hit the wall of water and quickly dropped to 135 and 80 and lots of water through the grill (55-65 mph). As I write this, I remember now that the temp was 143-147 at 75 degrees outside give or take just before dawn on the way to meet BlackBear last year. Of course there's no steep grades, hills or mountains, just overpasses and a few tall bridges here and there and not hitched so consider that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518