Fabtech 6" Lift on 2008 Tahoe Spindle Not Lining Up Any Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockdogz

Reaction score
Hey guys like the title says I'm in the middle of installing a Fabtech 6" lift on my 2008 Tahoe and their drop spindle included in the kit is not lining up with the ball joints on the A arms. I have the lower arm connected but the upper wont' get close.

I decided to replace the suspension components while I was doing the lift, so there are new Moog upper arms and Precision lower arms, along with new struts (got the shocks and springs separately and installed them together).

I have the A arm bolts loose to rule out any binding problems, and if I put a jack under the lower A arm it will just raise the whole truck and doesn't seem to compress the strut at all. Fabtech says everything should just work but I must be doing something wrong!

Wrong springs/shock maybe? It looks like it's extended too far.

Thanks,
Tom

4575.jpg

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate those strut extensions...............I would steer a customer miles away from those. Its like using hockey pucks for a body lift

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockdogz This is going to be a pain but when you are replacing a lot of parts at once it can be hard to find out where the problem is, I would start by test fitting the knuckle while using your old factory parts (upper and lower arms, stock strut). That spring looks thicc, are you sure that everything you got is stock replacement? I'm sure the lift kit is dependent on factory parts so you might need to compensate for your aftermarket replacement parts.

@1BADI5 I have never seen a strut spacer of that design, that is like trying to do a body lift by stacking washers.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
@Dustin Jackson I am using Moog 81250 front coil springs. They are supposed to be stock replacement but are definitely thicker than the stocks that I pulled off. I put the new springs on the new shocks myself but had to pull of the top hat from the old shocks so I can't put them back on right now...

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockdogz I am running MOOG 81244 springs on my rig and they are stronger than the stock and they raised my ride height, that is probably why you are having such a hard time compressing them to try and get the knuckle to line up. There could be more going on than that. You could attempt to attach a spring compressor to the front spring while the strut is installed, that would give you a couple inches to play with. How close is it to lining up?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockdogz On Moogs website it lists the 81250 as replacement springs for the electric controlled dampening system so you might not have the right springs, that being said I would try to compress them. Another thing you could try is to unbolt the strut from the lower control arm, install the knuckle to the top and bottom A arm, and then put a block of wood on your jack and stick that directly under the bottom of the strut and try to jack it up that way. With the strut not connected to the lower A arm it might compress with the jack easier than it would have when it was connected to the A arm. These are just wild suggestions man I hope everything works out

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
I assumed I had the electronically controlled dampening system because those are the shocks I got and they have a sensor connected to the top of the shock. Plus I have the air ride in the rear. It’s an LTZ.

OP
OP
rockdogz

rockdogz

Reaction score
Ok finally got it. Had to loosen up all the hardware, especially the lower shock mount, compress the spring, and then it just fit. Thanks [mention]Dustin Jackson [/mention]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98