Extended Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmsnickers

Reaction score
2023 Z71 Tahoe (comes with 3yr/36k). Should I opt for the extended coverage thru dealer (6 yr/80k) that permits me to take to any chevy dealer with a $100 deductible? Cost is approx. $475 per year ($2875 total).

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I hate extended warranties. If it overlaps the 3 year/36k mile warranty, that is an "Instead Of" warranty. If you absolutely have to get one, Get it after the bumper to bumper is done and only a GM extended warranty. Lots of threads on this forum with lots of opinions.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2023 Z71 Tahoe (comes with 3yr/36k). Should I opt for the extended coverage thru dealer (6 yr/80k) that permits me to take to any chevy dealer with a $100 deductible? Cost is approx. $475 per year ($2875 total).
As someone who has looked into a few different coverage plans 2875 for 3yr/44k is more reasonable than I've seen.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a longer powertrain warranty on the '23? That's where the big money repairs might come. If that extended warranty you are looking at is a bumper to bumper platinum coverage I'd probably go for it too. Would you be putting 80k miles on it in the 6 years?

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just note the powertrain warranty is 5/60 (engine, transmission/transfer case, and drive systems). Also, a significant amount of things are excluded in these extended coverage plans that tend to fail; no matter what your rep tells you is covered, look at the exclusions. Is EVERY computer system covered? That is my area of concern on the new design. Remember - they make a lot of money of these plans if that tells you their worth...

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I wouldn't be as concerned about the powertrain. Ther are plenty of other things than can go wrong and are much more possible....IE Air suspension, power running boards, any infotainment issue, Sunroof issue, Etc. Any one of these would pay for the whole warranty at one time and you'd still have the balance of warranty to still use.
If I don't use mine .... we'll then I must have been lucky and got a good one, but I still like my odds of it being used with all the gingerbread on these vehicles....

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
Thanks folks, I've read thru many of the existing threads so understand this is a personal choice. Odd that my dealer is offering thru Zurich Comprehensive Service Contract with is not the GM coverage although says it is identical to the 3 year coverage that comes with the vehicle.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the GM warranty only and there are Dealers that sell at a discounted price. Durayuk listed one and there are others. You can then see if your Dealer will match the price if you are wanting to finance into the loan. That other Dealers can offer financing on the extended warranty.

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
got a quote from dennis (very responsive and recommend)...oddly enough chevy is raising the prices effective 10/8 and I can't purchase quite yet due to not having my vehicle registered as in-service yet. Looking at the contract language, this part scares me...can I not ever buy different tires or a lift unless done by chevy at time of purchase? I assume a tahoe is a full size SUV.

1696552257657.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia