Anyone Purchased Extended Warranty Plan ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney61

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought ( yesterday) a two year gm platinum plan. 30,000 miles. Bumper to bumper. 0 deductible. For 1900$
I’ll get a refund on it (prorated) when I turn the 21 Tahoe in
Does the two years start after the regular factory warranty ends? I was under the impression that these are concurrent with the factory warranty. I am going to be deciding when I 2023 Tahoe comes in....who knows how long that will be.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if GM has there own warranty plans, but you can shop online. There are plenty of dealers online that sell factory warranty’s for cheap vs while sitting in the finance office. I saw this with Toyota and now with my ram truck. My ram dealer tried selling me a third party warranty for 7 years 75,000 miles (realistically 4 years 45,000 miles) for $2700 and would not offer the mopar protection plan. Online a dealer known for selling balk and cheap I got a mopar maximum protection plan for $1900 which is 8 years / 100,000 miles. Shop around!

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty is concurrent. My two year old Tahoe has 35,500 on the clock. That’s why I got one now. I figure I’ll get the balance back when my burb comes in.

Bkihum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I got a '22 Yukon Denali XL, and thinking about purchasing an extended warranty plan to ensure my drivetrain is covered. Has anyone been purchasing the extended plans for their Tahoes/Yukons, or do y'll ride it out and fix things as you go? I currently have 19k miles on the vehicle, purchased in March of this year. We take it on long road trips with the kids, and this is our primary kid hauler around town. We do expect to keep the car for 9-10 years (hopefully!) as we really like the room inside. My downside is - I was quoted $3,200 for 6 years and 90k miles. 6 years start ticking from my purchase date, so I essentially get 3 extra years or 90k miles total whichever comes first. I always drove Japanese SUVs, and never really kept them past 5 years. So wondering if warranty is a good investment here, or are these trucks pretty reliable? My brother just crossed 200,000 mile in his '09 Tundra and never had any major issues. But seeing how much electronics these new trucks have, and how many folks complain of the lifter and transmission issues, I'm a bit nervous losing my manufacturer warranty a year from now (high miles).
I purchased it because of all the electrical options that could get into big bucks after that period of warranty is gone.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I got a '22 Yukon Denali XL, and thinking about purchasing an extended warranty plan to ensure my drivetrain is covered. Has anyone been purchasing the extended plans for their Tahoes/Yukons, or do y'll ride it out and fix things as you go? I currently have 19k miles on the vehicle, purchased in March of this year. We take it on long road trips with the kids, and this is our primary kid hauler around town. We do expect to keep the car for 9-10 years (hopefully!) as we really like the room inside. My downside is - I was quoted $3,200 for 6 years and 90k miles. 6 years start ticking from my purchase date, so I essentially get 3 extra years or 90k miles total whichever comes first. I always drove Japanese SUVs, and never really kept them past 5 years. So wondering if warranty is a good investment here, or are these trucks pretty reliable? My brother just crossed 200,000 mile in his '09 Tundra and never had any major issues. But seeing how much electronics these new trucks have, and how many folks complain of the lifter and transmission issues, I'm a bit nervous losing my manufacturer warranty a year from now (high miles).
aboss3, Short answer: buy the extended warranty.

I know I'll get torched for the balance of my response, but unfortunately there are just too many sad stories...
Being a multiple decade bowtie owner including a prepared Corvette that I ran in amateur road racing, these new rigs are not the GM trucks of old, and certainly not Toyota quality pieces. The horror stories you read about the lifter issues (sometimes replaced multiple times) and the various electrical gremlins are very real. Doesn't matter if it's a base Tahoe, or a $100,000+ Escalade, the issues are the same. I believe that the best of the GM SUV breed were the GMT 900 vehicles which ended after the 2014 MY. My son is still driving my 2010 Tahoe LTZ in college.

You can check the history of heartbreaking stories of the GMT K2XX vehicles that started in 2015. It wasn't until the 2018/19 model years (which had very good customer ratings) that they finally worked out all the bugs. I really was hoping that GM got it right when the GMT1XX vehicles came out in 2019, as I wanted to get a new Esky. I'm glad I waited for customer feedback on this forum and didn't leave either of my BOF Lexus trucks. I've had three. (currently two) Totally bulletproof...just add gas, change the oil, rotate tires and drive past all the dealers and repair shops. People don't get rid of them because of problems, only to get another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep