Anyone Purchased Extended Warranty Plan ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cqmorrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I got a '22 Yukon Denali XL, and thinking about purchasing an extended warranty plan to ensure my drivetrain is covered. Has anyone been purchasing the extended plans for their Tahoes/Yukons, or do y'll ride it out and fix things as you go? I currently have 19k miles on the vehicle, purchased in March of this year. We take it on long road trips with the kids, and this is our primary kid hauler around town. We do expect to keep the car for 9-10 years (hopefully!) as we really like the room inside. My downside is - I was quoted $3,200 for 6 years and 90k miles. 6 years start ticking from my purchase date, so I essentially get 3 extra years or 90k miles total whichever comes first. I always drove Japanese SUVs, and never really kept them past 5 years. So wondering if warranty is a good investment here, or are these trucks pretty reliable? My brother just crossed 200,000 mile in his '09 Tundra and never had any major issues. But seeing how much electronics these new trucks have, and how many folks complain of the lifter and transmission issues, I'm a bit nervous losing my manufacturer warranty a year from now (high miles).
I just got rid of my 2015 Denali XL with 210,000 miles. If you are planning many years/high mileage, either trade it in or be sure the warranty will cover you for the length of usage you plan. It was KILLING me on repair costs. Have had a new Denali on order for last year and now this year with no GMC order number yet. Repairs become extremely expensive such as headlights, taillights, air ride suspension, valves. Every time to dealer was about a $2,000 bill.

jqwiii00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I got a '22 Yukon Denali XL, and thinking about purchasing an extended warranty plan to ensure my drivetrain is covered. Has anyone been purchasing the extended plans for their Tahoes/Yukons, or do y'll ride it out and fix things as you go? I currently have 19k miles on the vehicle, purchased in March of this year. We take it on long road trips with the kids, and this is our primary kid hauler around town. We do expect to keep the car for 9-10 years (hopefully!) as we really like the room inside. My downside is - I was quoted $3,200 for 6 years and 90k miles. 6 years start ticking from my purchase date, so I essentially get 3 extra years or 90k miles total whichever comes first. I always drove Japanese SUVs, and never really kept them past 5 years. So wondering if warranty is a good investment here, or are these trucks pretty reliable? My brother just crossed 200,000 mile in his '09 Tundra and never had any major issues. But seeing how much electronics these new trucks have, and how many folks complain of the lifter and transmission issues, I'm a bit nervous losing my manufacturer warranty a year from now (high miles).
Ive always waited until 35,000+ miles to purchase one. The electronics are the issue, not really the drivetrain. Some dealers discount if you get a quote then ask for lower, usually $500 from my experience.

Chris Mosher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I always buy extended warranty that takes it up to 100k. At 98,000 a lifter or spring broke and it was covered. Worth every penny!

houstontaylor

Reaction score
Warranties can be tricky. For example, I had a dealer install a remanufactured engine which came with 3 year 100000 mile warranty. After a little more than a year it was determined that an intake manifold gasket was leaking air and had to be redone. I thought great, it's still under warranty! Then I was told that the remainufactured engine had that warranty but the Intake manifold gaskets only had a one year warranty so it would not be covered. They finally did cover it anyway. Also, sometimes dealers don't pay their mechanics well in spite of the high prices that they often charge for repairs and the experienced ones leave. If you can find some independent outside repair shops with good mechanics, that is sometimes a better course of action, in my opinion.

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Side note on my story. My rear left tail light on the Escalade 21 is 2000. Not changing my tune but you don’t need that part to fail too many times

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note on my story. My rear left tail light on the Escalade 21 is 2000. Not changing my tune but you don’t need that part to fail too many times
Except if you read a lot of the contracts, they exclude “lamps, lenses, sealed beams” etc. So, read your contract carefully before assuming the tail lights are covered.

Below is an excerpt of the exclusions from the sample contract for the GMEPP, not even some 3rd party version; although it is administered by AMT. see here -> https://www.knappvehicleservicecontracts.com/contract/Sample_GM_service_contract.pdf

Attachments

• CB8811D8-F49F-40CF-827B-CD4D6655DC31.png
    CB8811D8-F49F-40CF-827B-CD4D6655DC31.png
    1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

ajeepguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i purchased a 2014 tahoe from a dealer that offered a "lifetime drivetrain warranty and oil changes" if i kept it serviced by their requirements. Haven't had to use it and am wondering if anyone else has one of these from a chevrolet dealer??????

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased a 2014 tahoe from a dealer that offered a "lifetime drivetrain warranty and oil changes" if i kept it serviced by their requirements. Haven't had to use it and am wondering if anyone else has one of these from a chevrolet dealer??????
My GMC dealer gives a “lifetime powertrain” service contract. All you have to do is keep current on mfg. recommended maintenance. Doesn’t matter where you get the maintenance done, and if you get any service on the contract at the dealer purchased from, there is no deductible; if you get repairs anywhere else; it’s $100 deductible.

But, while this is “included” I think it’s part of a “lot pack,” meaning it’s added to the price of every vehicle on the lot…I noticed that the invoice price they quoted to me was about $900 more than what I thought it should be.

Regardless, I’m happy to have it…gives me peace
of mind given the ongoing lifter saga…

mpgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine has paid for itself multiple times. Just had my front struts replaced, rear wiper motor, and valvebody replaced (due to a dealer eff-up with service), along with a bunch of other stuff they covered- billed out over 8k. 2018 yukon xl denali. I would buy it everytime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan