Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggietexans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HI All,

We are getting a 2023 CHEVY Tahoe. We want to purchase the extended warranty, can you let me know from which dealer you purchsed yours?

we want to shop around for the best deal.

thanks!!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Cannot comment on the "Instead of Warranty". My opinions about them are well known here. Good luck with your new vehicle and post pics here when you get it.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the new vehicle the GMPP is the product. Not really needed I thought. If you wait a couple years the GMEPP is the deal. We just let our OE warranty run almost out then got the extension plan. You can see that in the link listed above.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be able to do a Google search "which GM Dealers offer the best warranty prices." There have been discussions on this forum, the other truck forum, and the Corvette forum. Something should pull up for you. Get the best price and then ask your Dealer to meet or beat the price. Forum members have had good luck using this method. Good luck.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dennis Fichtner from Laurel Chevrolet is cheapest I've seen. [email protected]
Ever considered going “self insured?”

Put the cash of the service contract in a high yield savings account and watch it grow. Debit the account for any repairs.

Example:
My dealer wanted $3975 for “8years, 96k miles”. But of course that is truly only 5 additional years and 60k additional miles from the factory warranty.

Deposit $3975 in a high yield savings/CD (you can find one for 5% these days.
After 36 months you will earn 643.00

Your balance will be 4628.

Now, let this cash ride and withdraw only when you need repairs.

If you never make a withdrawal, you will earn $1954 in interest in this 8 year period.

Thus, you would have $5500-6000 available for repairs over this 8 year period…depending on the repair withdrawals you make (and don’t withdraw for maintenance, cause service contracts don’t cover maintenance either).

My bet, and those offering service contracts bet the same, is that your vehicle won’t need $6k in repairs before you hit 96k miles, trade it, total it, etc.

It’s just math…and the people peddling these contracts know it…it’s an expensive insurance policy.
Cost of the policy goes up and your advantage goes down if you roll the service contract into your loan and pay interest on it. You’d be better off making monthly deposits to the account I mention above if you can’t drop the whole $4k in up front…will make slightly less interest, but at least won’t pay interest.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And keep in mind the actual new car warranty:

Bumper-to-Bumper3 years/36,000 miles
Powertrain5 years/60,000 miles
Emission Control2/8 years/24,000/80,000 miles

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And our GMEPP Platinum plan for the 2019 Tahoe runs to April 2027 at 78k miles. With our usual annual mileage (and my age) that will probably last my lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011