1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust with broken end bolt

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by mijohnst, Feb 22, 2020.

1. mijohnst

mijohnst Full Access Member

Name:
    Mike
    I was just about to start reinstalling my catalytic converter (started another thread for that project) when I noticed that the 14mm bolt on the end of the left side exhaust manifold was loose. No problem, I'll just get up there with my wrench to tighten it only to find out it's broken off inside the block and about an inch of the bold was just hanging out in the hole. While I was contemplating the work of removing the head to get that out, how I would possibly kill myself or to do a google search, I decided the latter.

What I found was this is a common issue with these 5.3 and that is a solution for it already. Instead of pulling the head out, Napa sells a clamp specifically for this issue. Part number 600-0012. It made my day to find it.

It was a bit of a pain to get it installed but having the chaotic converter, forward driveshaft and the heat shield removed it made it much easier. Remember to put some blue thread locker on each bold before you get it installed if you have to do this. I don't think mine was smoking yet because I've haven't seen any exhaust coming from inside the engine compartment, but I have no doubt it would have eventually been an issue. Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

(The hole without the bolt)
    20200222_152758.jpg

(Clamp installed)
    20200222_173217.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    Good job, Mike! Yes, this is super common. Check all around your manifolds for more. The clamps were originally made by Kral. I think Dorman has one, too. Any idea on the brand you got from Napa?

mijohnst and PNW VietVet like this.
  3. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    Yea, there are some threads here about that and some guys have been running these brackets for several thousand miles with no problems. I have seen the ones made by Kral. I also believe, if I remember right, that the kits are only for bolts that broke at the ends of the manifolds.

mijohnst likes this.
  4. Mechanic421

Mechanic421 06 Denali XL

Name:
    David
    About $100.00 to n Amazon.

939A5D43-235C-4682-818D-58285EA44EE0.jpeg

mijohnst and PNW VietVet like this.
  5. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    Interesting. I am always amazed at the number of different tools and such that Lisle puts out on the market.

swathdiver and PNW VietVet like this.
  6. Mechanic421

Mechanic421 06 Denali XL

Name:
    David
    Work great for me. The hardest one drivers rear came right out. I used a 90 degree drill drive with a 1/4 inch hex bit holder, then cut some of the hex off the drill bit to shorten it up even more. I do recommend arp bolts if you are installing headers. Ok so I may have been wrong right rear may be harder to get to. Mine was not broken . I am not sure. Side note get your own extractors the one in the kit is garbage.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    mijohnst, PNW VietVet and wjburken like this.
  7. mijohnst

Name:
    Mike
    Funny story... After putting this clamp on and finishing the install of my catalatic converter I started my Tahoe to check fr leaks. I let it run for about 5 minutes and raised the hood only to seek smoke billowing from the back of the driver's side engine....exactly where I put that clamp. My heart sake thinking about how maybe I overtightened the bolt or the exhaust manifold was cupped and now I just opened a hole. I was having bad thoughts about having to remove the head and all the work it would take. I really was feeling sick. So I crawl under the truck while it's running to look up there with a light and I see the smoke actually coming from the O2 sensor. Then it came to me that I had been soaking my O2 sensors in Seafoam to clean them up and all the smoke was that stuff burning off. Needless to say, after it bit it stopped smoking and I was free to go change my pants.

8. mijohnst

Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the tool suggestion. If I had to have removed the head, I would have surely bought this.

9. Mechanic421

Mechanic421 06 Denali XL

Name:
    David
    The tool is so you don’t have to remove the head.

mijohnst likes this.
  10. mijohnst

Name:
    Mike
    I watched a YouTube on it and looked like it had to be off. I'll have to go rewatch it and see what I missed.