EXHAUST SETUP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WH

Why don't you like the choppy idle? Thought that was peak 'Murica. I got the BTR stage 2 and really like it...although I have a lowly 5.3. The added power is noticeable over 3000 but I'd love to have some more low end torque. I suppose the only way to fix that issue is boost or displacement.
Me, personally, I don't care for the idle chop & roughness... Not in this vehicle.
I have plenty other HP vehicles that are loud and choppy. This is my "hauler" and
my tow vehicle, So the smoother the better. I really liked the stealthy smoothness of the
stock cam with the supercharger - but I just couldn't live with the poor MPG, esp while towing

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the BTR stage II and the Truck Norris cam?
If you can, do post the specs from each of them here and it will save us each from having to go look them up individually. I’m assuming what you’re interested in is understanding how they each will behave and perform differently? If so, having a bunch of eyes on the specs will give you lots of input.

I ran the BTR stage 2 truck cam for a while and it gave decent power gains but I didn’t like the idle chop at all.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can, do post the specs from each of them here and it will save us each from having to go look them up individually. I’m assuming what you’re interested in is understanding how they each will behave and perform differently? If so, having a bunch of eyes on the specs will give you lots of input.

I ran the BTR stage 2 truck cam for a while and it gave decent power gains but I didn’t like the idle chop at all.
Whereas I love it. Totally personal preference. I don't get a fun toy (that I can keep) so having a nice aggressive-ish sounding truck is a plus for me.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hear the two mentioned, and was curious if anyone had experience with them. Did some Googling during a work call:

Truck Norris: https://speed-engineering.com/colle...e/products/btr-gen-iii-iv-ls-truck-norris-cam

BTR_St2_TQ_Cam-Truck_Norris_1800x1800.jpg

Truck Norris NSR: https://speed-engineering.com/colle...oducts/btr-gen-iii-iv-ls-truck-norris-nsr-cam

R_vs_Stock_TBSS_Intake_Stock_243_Heads_2_1800x1800.jpg

BTR Stage 2 - V2: https://speed-engineering.com/colle...ruck-cam-v2-btr31218110-212-218-553-553-111-0

btr31218110_page_1_1800x1800.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Charlie, so the BTR stage 2's specs are: 212/218, .553/.553, 111+0 and the Truck Norris's specs are: Specs: 212/22X, .552/.552, 107.

To these, I'll add the specs for the Cam Motion Stage 2 Truck Cam: 206/210, .553/.553, 115+5 "High-Lift" version, for comparison.

What I was interested in was the lobe separation angle (LSA). All of three of these cams will perform better than stock - especially above 4500 RPM. But, with LSA's of 107 for the Truck Norris cam you can expect it to be significantly choppier at idle than the BTR stage 2 cam, which is already pretty choppy. For me, that was an unpleasant experience in a daily driver.

All three have similar valve lift for airflow, and the Truck Norris cam predictably performs best on the high end (as you would expect given the durations) but in my opinion, that's more than offset with worse drivability and minimal, if any, gains from idle through 4500, which is where most of us spend our time driving around.

The Cam Motion cam offers a smooth idle and good power gains that you'll feel on the butt dyno throughout the rev range so in my opinion the drivability and enjoyability for 99% of the driving I do, is much better. And having had both the BTR stage 2 and now the Cam Motion Stage 2, there is no comparison for me. I much prefer the driving experience of the latter. And for me, the Truck Norris was never even a contender given the higher power band and Harley-Davidson-esq idle.

And to further make myself sound like a shill for Cam Motion, they also have grinds for this cam that are specific to the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2, so they optimize it for the flow characteristics of each engine. The BTR cams are one grind fits all.

1687952388426.png

Last edited:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash

I appreciate the breakdown, and other example. I'm very green to cams and feel like it's a rabbit hole. I can't imagine wanting anything other than a larger torque plateau for my daily driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9