Exhaust: Is shorter louder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting a magnaflow dual exhaust put on my 97 2 door yukon. and i was just wondering whats louder? a short muffler like an 11" muffler or a longer one like a 22" muffler?
thanks
nick

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Shorter is typically louder, but raspier.
Longer is typically quieter, but deeper.

OP
OP
19Yukon97

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! Im thinking about getting the 14 inch case magnaflow duals! i hope its what!

Thanks

97loudho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i was going to post this myself looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 97 tahoe

OP
OP
19Yukon97

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to be putting the 14 inch 2.5 dual exhaust from the cats back in the next couple of weeks!
Thanks for the help guys!

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Exhaust volume and sound is a very subjective thing. Keep in mind that the entire vehicle is cabin space and therefore prone to resonance...the louder the volume, the more in-cabin noise you'll hear.

alelogman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was just curious on how loud will it get if I remove the exhaust resonator? I heard removing it gives a nice gurgle sound. Is it true? I don't want to go for a shorter exhaust but at the same time wants a bit louder sound. Any advice?

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Our trucks don't have resonators...catalytic converters and mufflers only. If you're talking about removing the converters, you'll have other issues to contend with - check engine codes and smelly exhaust being the most notable. Federal fines being the most expensive if caught...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove