Exhaust butterfly valve?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking to get either a butterfly valve that dumps out right before the muffler... anyone have any recommendations/advice?

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best would be to go with the QTP cutout..The electric ones run $150-$200 new but can be found used for around $100...

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I was looking to get either a butterfly valve that dumps out right before the muffler... anyone have any recommendations/advice?

I thought you already had your muffler cut off? Did you put one back on?

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what state is this legal in?! It doesn't polute more, but is louder, but the pita gov't takes the fun out of everything they can...

OP
OP
S

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you already had your muffler cut off? Did you put one back on?

Long story short, I found out the car was in an accident and the dealer didn't disclose it to us (even though we asked if it's been in an accident)... Lets just say I aggressively negotiated (blackmail is so negative) for a different one. I ended up going from 33k-38k miles over the course of 4 months, then I changed to one with 5k miles AND it had AC'd seats :D

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

The best would be to go with the QTP cutout..The electric ones run $150-$200 new but can be found used for around $100...

Will do. Denali's/Esky's have the 3.5" correct? Or is it the 3"

what state is this legal in?! It doesn't polute more, but is louder, but the pita gov't takes the fun out of everything they can...

I was considering putting in a small muffler on the alternate opening that way I have some sort of backpressure and also not completely obnoxious

dntnvme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long story short, I found out the car was in an accident and the dealer didn't disclose it to us (even though we asked if it's been in an accident)... Lets just say I aggressively negotiated (blackmail is so negative) for a different one. I ended up going from 33k-38k miles over the course of 4 months, then I changed to one with 5k miles AND it had AC'd seats :D

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Will do. Denali's/Esky's have the 3.5" correct? Or is it the 3"

I was considering putting in a small muffler on the alternate opening that way I have some sort of backpressure and also not completely obnoxious
Hello. I've searched everyone and can't really find any information regarding a butterfly valve on a diesel? Is not a good idea because carbon buildup would be very fast ultimately sticking the valve one way? I just bought a 2005 3500 that I use for my personal truck as well as my tree service company I started this year. I have removed the catalatyc converter as well as the silencer ring and air baffle on the turbo. I do a lot of in town work and would like to keep the quiet disposition of the truck while going to and from jobs but I also put a lot of miles on the highway pulling very heavy loads of wood and saw chips. I think this set up would be ideal for me and my situation. Any help would be appreciated!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aren't diesel mufflers just big straight thru pipe wrapped in packing? they don't seem to do much.

I'm not sure you'd be bypassing much noise. unless it's a Cummings. good engine but god I'm sick of listening to those things with open exhaust driving around. if so. please install and never open lol.

you probably have a 4in exhaust? any one would do, they don't make a lot of big size. most are 2.5-3in. if it got soot in it, just hit it with some brake clean from time to time. the butterfly ones seem to open faster than the slider type. a lot have a small wireless clicker to open and close. I wish they would get better at ones that looked at throttling position and rpm to open. those seem to be slow coming.

my c6 has the oem flaps, and while I have the bypass button, it's much nicer to idle around quiet and let the ecm open it when needed depending on driving. wish the aftermarket would step up.

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my roommates 14 Chevy Caprice we put Chevy SS mufflers on it we swapped the electric cut out for Vacuumed ones. Also the trick on the Pump is to get it from Autozone or O'Reilly Auto Parts they come with a lifetime warranty.

The post where I got the information from.

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
Hello. I've searched everyone and can't really find any information regarding a butterfly valve on a diesel? Is not a good idea because carbon buildup would be very fast ultimately sticking the valve one way? I just bought a 2005 3500 that I use for my personal truck as well as my tree service company I started this year. I have removed the catalatyc converter as well as the silencer ring and air baffle on the turbo. I do a lot of in town work and would like to keep the quiet disposition of the truck while going to and from jobs but I also put a lot of miles on the highway pulling very heavy loads of wood and saw chips. I think this set up would be ideal for me and my situation. Any help would be appreciated!
Brother...you just revived a 13 year old thread. I think this might be the worst case of thread necropsy I've ever seen :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brother...you just revived a 13 year old thread. I think this might be the worst case of thread necropsy I've ever seen :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

Reviving old threads is fine, especially if the the old posts are relevant to all readers. Starting new threads without context can make it harder to understand the big picture.

Also, commenting about reviving an old thread (but adding nothing to it) is just as silly as posting a question about turbo-diesel 3500 performance on a N/A board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700