Evap Code P0449

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out a leaky fuel pump assembly. I went through all of the above to find out the gas smell was actually a seal and there was some gas on top of the tank that could only be seen with a scope by the shop. Changed that out and all codes went away, as did the gas smell. I've always heard, don't be quick to condemn the canister... usually it's something else. If it's vent valve (also replaced that), you will usually have trouble filling the tank (depending whether valve is stuck open or closed). With purge valve I had difficulty starting the vehicle right after filling up. And yes, a new AC Delco cap is also on my truck. Just don't rule out the fuel pump! It could be the culprit.

rn1948

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 GMC Yukon SLT. I have had the evap solenoid replaced and a new gas cap installed. I am still getting the P0449 code. What else can I check? So tired of check engine light on and not being able to use the auto-start cause the check engine light is on. I tried clearing the code, but immediately comes back on.
Thanks for any suggestions....
I had the same issue on an 09 Tahoe. I replaced the gas cap and on-engine solenoid because they were quick and easy, no help. Turned out to be the charcoal canister and tubing by the gas tank. When I pulled the old one out, the tubing disintegrated. New tubing is not rubber and may hold up better. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
bruce s

bruce s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on an 09 Tahoe. I replaced the gas cap and on-engine solenoid because they were quick and easy, no help. Turned out to be the charcoal canister and tubing by the gas tank. When I pulled the old one out, the tubing disintegrated. New tubing is not rubber and may hold up better. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I think it may end up being the charcoal filter because after pricing one of those bad boys out, I now know the mechanic just replaced the vent valve.

OP
OP
bruce s

bruce s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't rule out a leaky fuel pump assembly. I went through all of the above to find out the gas smell was actually a seal and there was some gas on top of the tank that could only be seen with a scope by the shop. Changed that out and all codes went away, as did the gas smell. I've always heard, don't be quick to condemn the canister... usually it's something else. If it's vent valve (also replaced that), you will usually have trouble filling the tank (depending whether valve is stuck open or closed). With purge valve I had difficulty starting the vehicle right after filling up. And yes, a new AC Delco cap is also on my truck. Just don't rule out the fuel pump! It could be the culprit.

Thanks, I will remember that.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

This is a good point. Mine rusted right through the lines on the head of the pump. I got long starts and could see fuel dripping down the passenger side of the tank. No codes or lights.

TahoeLTZ2007

Reaction score
My rusted vent line on top of the gas tank caused my evap code.Had to replace the fuel pump to fix it.Get it smoke tested to confirm a leak.It’s a inexpensive test, easier than taking down the tank .

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rusted vent line on top of the gas tank caused my evap code.Had to replace the fuel pump to fix it.Get it smoke tested to confirm a leak.It’s a inexpensive test, easier than taking down the tank .

This is probably the best point yet. It's so easy to throw a bunch of parts at it, and it really begins to add up. A smoke test would really be worth it, even if you do all the work yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700