2012 Tahoe eror code P0011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masonisking

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a 2012 tahoe new to me a few months ago. After the first month having it I ended up blowing one of the lifter rods which the dealer repaired because of the warranty. Since then everything has been good, until today. I drove about 2.5 hours back home and all was good, and while riding around with my father the check engine light came on. No noticeable differences in driving or anything, but i took it to get it scanned and its throwing a p0011 "Intake camshaft postion timing - over advanced (bank 1)". I was wondering if anyone has any idea whatt his means, what could cause it, and what would fix it.

Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a 2012 tahoe new to me a few months ago. After the first month having it I ended up blowing one of the lifter rods which the dealer repaired because of the warranty. Since then everything has been good, until today. I drove about 2.5 hours back home and all was good, and while riding around with my father the check engine light came on. No noticeable differences in driving or anything, but i took it to get it scanned and its throwing a p0011 "Intake camshaft postion timing - over advanced (bank 1)". I was wondering if anyone has any idea whatt his means, what could cause it, and what would fix it.

Thanks
The engine has variable valve timing that is controlled by an actuator on the front of the camshaft. Chances are it will be fine and reset itself if you keep driving. But if, for some reason it doesn’t, there is a connector for the VVT solenoid on the front of the engine. A Google search will show you where that is. I would check to make sure that it’s seated properly.

OP
OP
M

Masonisking

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, I took it to the shop on saturday to have it looked at. They said it was the cam position sensor as it was not getting any signal when they were diagnosing it. However i got it back and drove it for the first time today and the light is back on so i took it back. This time they said it was the phaser. Any ideas on what would cause that to go bad, and how much it would cost to fix?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, I took it to the shop on saturday to have it looked at. They said it was the cam position sensor as it was not getting any signal when they were diagnosing it. However i got it back and drove it for the first time today and the light is back on so i took it back. This time they said it was the phaser. Any ideas on what would cause that to go bad, and how much it would cost to fix?
There is also a solenoid called the cam magnet actuator that controls the cam phaser. It's the more likely culprit, in my view. @skpyle just replaced this on his Escalade, here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...eseal-intake-and-vlom-mod.145246/post-1835393

It's a relatively easy job but the water pump has to come off. Might as well replace it, too.

OP
OP
M

Masonisking

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright thank you! Thats what the code at autozone mentioned. However, i do want to get some other opinions. So the shop we took it to has been our go to for year, never had any issues. But this time they didnt fix it like they said they had, and when we went to pick it up the second time (They didnt have the experience to mess with the cam phaser) the manager said if there was any concerns about anything we find, to let him know. That statement alone throws me for a little bit of a loop because you dont just say that if you didnt mess anything up. So i went to look today and i found a missing bolt, which im sure isnt a big deal but it was in plain sight just looking under the car so youd think theyd either be missing it or just remove it so I couldnt find it. Should I take it to another shop get them to look at it and see?

Im almost to the point of selling it and buying something different as iv dropped more money in it in the past 5 months then i did my 4runner i drove for 5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts