Engine Used Oil Analysis Report & Filter Guts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil & Filter had 5100 miles. OLM = 51% remaining.
07 Denali w/6.2L L92 w/195k miles
Use is 70% hwy (18+ mpg) and 30% local/rural (15 mpg)
Oil was a mix of the two (see pic).
Engine didn't need any makeup.
Catch can caught 2 ounces in this 5k mile oil change interval.
Filter has some carbon in the bottom of the pleats.
The Valvoline "RESTORE" oil is no longer available but I have a stash of it. Its designed to "CLEAN". The insides of this ole engine needs cleaning. It had been road hard and hungup wet before I bought it 65K miles ago.
Yukon UOA 3-24.JPG
DSCN8191.JPG
DSCN8199.JPG
DSCN8192.JPG

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yea, there’s some scrubbing bubble action going on in there. I imagine the oil analysis companies will get a lot more business as electric cars roll in.

Somebody tell me why Jiffy Lube or someone else doesn’t offer to send your oil off for analysis as part of the package.

Doh! Just answered my own question. It doesn’t benefit the engine re manufacturers objectives.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally someone looks at an oil filter media without it being covered in oil still lol. I tell people all the time just lay it on the pig mat, it will suck it dry in no time, then pull it tight and you can see every speck.

do you ever watch that lake speed guy. he's doing oil sample videos that seem pretty interesting. I have no idea if he has an agenda so who knows, but seems like decent info. I've learned some stuff. I'd be curious what you think of them.

he did one on the M1 euro spec oil, I believe sample sent before use. and one on oil shelf life. I'm not great reading the charts, but from their notes, it sounds like that oil was pretty ready to be changed at 5k?

i ended up with some free pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30, so I used it last change with that fram filter people seem to be giving good specs for. I should send a sample out and see how it did compared to the mobile 1 I've been using.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally someone looks at an oil filter media without it being covered in oil still lol.
Yes I squeeze the excess oil out in a vice, takes 5 mins
do you ever watch that lake speed guy. he's doing oil sample videos that seem pretty interesting. I have no idea if he has an agenda so who knows, but seems like decent info. I've learned some stuff. I'd be curious what you think of them.
He makes okay videos, but he bows to many masters. Nothing wrong with that. We all need to earn a living.
BobIsTheOilGuy forum is where I've been hanging out at for the last 14 yrs to learn about oil, filters, atf, coolant, etc.
he did one on the M1 euro spec oil, I believe sample sent before use. and one on oil shelf life.
I have seen it before :waytogo:
i ended up with some free pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30, so I used it last change with that fram filter people seem to be giving good specs for. I should send a sample out and see how it did compared to the mobile 1 I've been using.
I've never used Pennzoil. A yr ago they contacted me and want to send me free oils and filters to take part in some project they were doing. I'd have to do things their way. I said "no thanks". I like doing things my way (mad untrained scientist) experimenting as I see fit.o_O

Fram makes 3 top tier oil filters: the Ultra, Endurance, & Titanium.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, it was free oil from a wrong delivery, nothing but a mix up they decided wasn't worth sending a driver back for. so figured it can't hurt to use it. I think I picked up a titanium this time, used the endurance the time before.

yeah, I am no surprised he has some bias, but still feel like I've learned something. the samples of the Toyota 0w8, I don't see many people messing with that stuff.
I've been on Bob the oil guy board a few times, but being a message board, I found a lot of random info. never spend enough time to sort out who had the more experienced opinion.

interesting stuff thou. I changed it back in Feb, probably almost time to change it. I need to make sure I have a sample bottle. I'm more curious bow.

on a side note, how come you don't run Amsoil? every time I've gotten bored enough to go down the ribbit hole what what's the best oil, it always leads to bobtheoilguy and the to amsoil at some point.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a side note, how come you don't run Amsoil? every time I've gotten bored enough to go down the ribbit hole what what's the best oil, it always leads to bobtheoilguy and the to amsoil at some point.
I have run Amsoil many times in my vehicles since 2009. That's when I became a preferred Amsoil customer. It's good stuff. Here's a thread I did when I ran it in my Denali not long ago:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...w183k-miles-amsoil-0w-20-w-8-5k-miles.139128/
I'm currently running Amsoil (10 gals) in the 12.7L Detroit that's in our Prevost bus/mh.

I run Amsoil atf, gear oil, and grease in my vehicles too.

If I were to describe any 1 oil brand as "THE BEST" it would be HPL by:
https://www.hplubricants.com/about-us/
Customer Service beyond compare. After talking to you, they'll custom blend you whatever is decided. They have on the shelf products too. Of course you don't get something for nothing.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh I didn't realize you used it that much. I have it in my hybrid tranny, 14qt wasn't cheap, but I think it was something in one of your threads about dex6 viscosity that sent me down that road after some searching around.

I honestly have only heard of the hpl from the Steve Morris youtube. sounds like awesome stuff, but yeah. would be silly in a daily or even my beater c6 haha.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh I didn't realize you used it that much. I have it in my hybrid tranny, 14qt wasn't cheap, but I think it was something in one of your threads about dex6 viscosity that sent me down that road after some searching around.

I honestly have only heard of the hpl from the Steve Morris youtube. sounds like awesome stuff, but yeah. would be silly in a daily or even my beater c6 haha.
There's someone on BITOG that has gone 30,000 miles between changes with his hotshot delivery car using one of the HPL off the self oils. And there are plenty of others doing extended oil change intervals. The best oil chemistry is not found on the shelves of brick and mortar retailer.
I have 6 qts of the HPL PCMO that I'll use one of these days, probably in my C5 LS1, or maybe the Denali.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30k sounds wild. is he pulling sample along the way?

I'm guessing it's a ******* diesel, we use hot shots a lot moving stuff between here and Houston and most seem to be.

does he have some wild aftermarket filter system or something?

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jterry76