Engine Swap from 5.3 to 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you gave up about 60 foot pounds of torque down low where its needed with that camshaft. Right on with the exhaust, the 5.3s is 2.75" and the 6.2s use 3.5"!

Yeah, you gave up about 60 foot pounds of torque down low where its needed with that camshaft. Right on with the exhaust, the 5.3s is 2.75" and the 6.2s use 3.5"!
Im still searching for a factory y pipe.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 or 5.3?

For the 6.2, I have the 5.3 already.

Get a set of long tubes from speed engineering with the Y pipe kit
I have Kooks 1 7/8" catted headers already into a Corsa. I am considering going to manifolds + blower on this truck to bring the comfort back. I do not like the way headers sound in the cabin on this truck. You hear all the air moving constantly through the floorboard.

The truck is so comfortable inside but the headers do take away from that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have Kooks 1 7/8" catted headers already into a Corsa. I am considering going to manifolds + blower on this truck to bring the comfort back. I do not like the way headers sound in the cabin on this truck. You hear all the air moving constantly through the floorboard.

With the prices of cats lately, even used ones will be a princely sum. Well, I'm just speculating, haven't actually looked! Have you checked LKQonline.com?

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havent looked. But i was gonna buy magnaflows stainless 6.2 y pipe.

Do you notice the noises with your headers.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine don't have that sound nearly as badly. Really, I only hear the "header sound" when I'm ******* the throttle and if I'm listening for it specifically. The normal growl from the exhaust masks it. When cruising, I just hear the mild rumble from the rest of the exhaust, emanating from behind and not at the firewall. They're coated inside and out but also a tri-Y design, and I guess that breaks up the sound so the pinging and airy sound in the collectors is minimalized. I also don't have cats. If I did, I wouldn't need 40" of mufflers to bring it to a comfortable sound level.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine don't have that sound nearly as badly. Really, I only hear the "header sound" when I'm ******* the throttle and if I'm listening for it specifically. The normal growl from the exhaust masks it. When cruising, I just hear the mild rumble from the rest of the exhaust, emanating from behind and not at the firewall. They're coated inside and out but also a tri-Y design, and I guess that breaks up the sound so the pinging and airy sound in the collectors is minimalized. I also don't have cats. If I did, I wouldn't need 40" of mufflers to bring it to a comfortable sound level.

Yeah it kinda sucks. I wonder if adding a resonator right after the bend on the drivers side y pipe connection would fix it. Only way to fit one would be to cut the pipe though.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it kinda sucks. I wonder if adding a resonator right after the bend on the drivers side y pipe connection would fix it. Only way to fit one would be to cut the pipe though.

I doubt it. The sound is mostly in the collectors and that'd be ahead of the resonator. The resonator would just attenuate some of the frequencies downstream just as mufflers do.

Now, having the four primaries end inside of a bullet muffler might do something. But, you'd still have the ticking from the relatively thin walls of the headers. Lots of coating or wrapping helps, but wrapping is ugly.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. The sound is mostly in the collectors and that'd be ahead of the resonator. The resonator would just attenuate some of the frequencies downstream just as mufflers do.

Now, having the four primaries end inside of a bullet muffler might do something. But, you'd still have the ticking from the relatively thin walls of the headers. Lots of coating or wrapping helps, but wrapping is ugly.
Yeah the ticking I can live with, it's the weird tinny air sound that I don't like.

With manifolds I hear the valvetrain, but the exhaust sounds 10x better while accelerating in the cabin. It's just like you said, where the collector ends which is right by the floor pan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia