Engine Swap from 5.3 to 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All, anyone did the swap?
I have a 2013 (Z71) with 200k on the meter and looking to swap to new 6.2 engine, any feedback, recommendations, advise...etc
and is it a plug and play or require many side jobs?

TIA

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Enjoy :)

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a direct bolt in including wiring. Just don't buy Johnson lifters. Or if you do, measure your lifter bores. Delete DOD while you're there and put in Morel dropin replacement lifters or LS7 lifters.

Other than my annoying lifter tap, my swap went really well. I just grenaded my diff from all the extra power. Enjoy!

It's a night and day difference vs the 5.3. I was going from a bolton + cammed + heads 5.3 and it was nearly 2 seconds faster to 60 after the 6.2. You can't compare the torque between the two.

5.3 needs FI to compete.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All, anyone did the swap?
I have a 2013 (Z71) with 200k on the meter and looking to swap to new 6.2 engine, any feedback, recommendations, advise...etc
and is it a plug and play or require many side jobs?

TIA
Well, you will soon need to overhaul the transmission and upgrade the differential carrier or put a 9.5" semi-floater in place of the old 8.6". Lots of fun, the 6.2 Sierra is a rocket and when the time is right, the Yukon will get an L9H too. 3.73 gears a must!

OP
OP
BigM

BigM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks All for the feedback, so which 6.2 engine is best, 6.2L V8 L86 or L96?

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the swap and a couple things I learned. Change your starter. I left my 5.3 starter and now I need to put the stronger 6.2 starter in. I bought the AFM Delete parts from Texas Speed. Nice guys gave me a deal on the LS9 cam. Not good for towing! Go with an RV cam if you're going to tow or haul anything. On the other hand if you want crazy sudden power let me know and maybe we can trade cams and you get my LS9 cam and I get the RV cam. Seriously. I think my 5.3 was better for towing. I'm sure that's all up to the cam.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, if you're going with a used 6.2 change the oil pressure sender and tiny screen under it before you drop it in.

The 6.2 has a bigger exhaust pipe but the 5.3 system bolts right up. It should be just fine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the swap and a couple things I learned. Change your starter. I left my 5.3 starter and now I need to put the stronger 6.2 starter in. I bought the AFM Delete parts from Texas Speed. Nice guys gave me a deal on the LS9 cam. Not good for towing! Go with an RV cam if you're going to tow or haul anything. On the other hand if you want crazy sudden power let me know and maybe we can trade cams and you get my LS9 cam and I get the RV cam. Seriously. I think my 5.3 was better for towing. I'm sure that's all up to the cam.

Yeah, you gave up about 60 foot pounds of torque down low where its needed with that camshaft. Right on with the exhaust, the 5.3s is 2.75" and the 6.2s use 3.5"!

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ls9 cam is a poor n/a cam. It has a super late intake valve close event which reduces cylinder pressure. Good for blower.

Go with stock vvt cam or a small aftermarket vvt cam. I custom specced the one in my sig and it makes awesome torque down low.

Depends on what your goals are. Aftermarket Camshafts and headers have their downsides. Valvetrain will be louder. Lopey exhaust etc. Not everyone wants to deal with that tradeoff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n