Engine Stuttering at ~1500 RPMs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Does this stutter occur when accelerating from a stop or when reapplying accelerator after coasting at crushing speed?

If it is during the reapplication of accelerator at cruising speed that is when the torque converter unlocks.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK will do. How often do you do this?

What are some brands of plug wires you recommend?

Thanks for the help!
Trans service every 25-30K.. But if you bought used, I'd change it immediately and then only go about 10K til the next one so you really know the trans well.
As for plug wires, these engines aren't super picky.. Can't go wrong with the GM or ACDelco's
and even the $55 parts stores brands would be fine

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting your vehicle in M5 does not keep it from switching from V-4 and V-8, at least not when I’ve tried it in my 2013 Yukon XL Denali. Not sure where that rumor originated, but I don’t think it’s true.
It does keep it in V8 mode from what I've experienced and is a good workaround for the AFM dilemma. Plus, depending on what gears you have, it can actually result in better fuel economy for normal driving below highway speeds.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does keep it in V8 mode from what I've experienced and is a good workaround for the AFM dilemma. Plus, depending on what gears you have, it can actually result in better fuel economy for normal driving below highway speeds.
Yes. As I said, I was thinking of tow/haul mode. Was a time folks thought that would keep it from flipping to V-4 mode.

John H Daniel

Reaction score
I had similar symptom; only at slight acceleration from cruise. Tried injector cleaning, throttle body, ignition stuff... It was the torque converter. Its not too hard to diconnect the trans oil line at the radiator- assuming you don't have auxilliary trans cooler (then its even easier)- and pump out some oil. Mine had plenty of metal in it. Needed new TC and rebuild trans.
I would check before replacing other sutff.

Swaggerwagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2011 5.3 4WD was doing this 160k miles., I bought the sonnax 6L80 ‘valvebody sure-cure’ kit and installed (fun fact: block off your entire weekend). I didn’t replace the torque converter, cause I’m cheap. Sure I’ll regret that choice down the road. HOWEVER the repair did clear up the ‘stutter/shudder’ concern.

I agree with earlier commenters that true misfires would result in DTCs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts