Engine replacement with little time. Any input welcome!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Today with my Tahoe- I got a call from the shop that was going to put a new 5.3 in it. Normal LMG 5.3 but with a DoD delete kit already installed. No big deal right?

Well the new engine was assembled and coming off the truck to be transfered and shipped from the distributed to the shop. Well a forklift operator shoved a fork thru tje block taking it off the truck. They don’t have another gen 4 5.3 assembled that could get here in time for installation before I have to drive to SoCal on the 2nd of next month. Considering seeing if they have a gen 4 6.2 maybe? Does anybody have any sugestions as what I can do?

Its a 07 4WD NNBS with an LMG 5.3 and the 4L60e.

Whats involved with swapping one Gen 4 5.3 to a gen 4 6.0 or 6.2?

Thank you everyone in advance!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today with my Tahoe- I got a call from the shop that was going to put a new 5.3 in it. Normal LMG 5.3 but with a DoD delete kit already installed. No big deal right?

Well the new engine was assembled and coming off the truck to be transfered and shipped from the distributed to the shop. Well a forklift operator shoved a fork thru tje block taking it off the truck. They don’t have another gen 4 5.3 assembled that could get here in time for installation before I have to drive to SoCal on the 2nd of next month. Considering seeing if they have a gen 4 6.2 maybe? Does anybody have any sugestions as what I can do?

Its a 07 4WD NNBS with an LMG 5.3 and the 4L60e.

Whats involved with swapping one Gen 4 5.3 to a gen 4 6.0 or 6.2?

Thank you everyone in advance!

The 6.2 was made to work with the 6-speed. So that would require getting hold of programming to make it work, if it was ever done by hotrodding community. 6.0 and 6.2 are VVT motors so you would have to add that wiring but not a big deal. Or delete it.

The 6.0, L76, was an option for the Suburban and Yukon XL, it was paired with the 4L70 and 4.10 gears. That would work, but like the 6.2, it will soon take out your transmission unless it's beefed up to handle the power. Note, there an L76 for cars and one for trucks, get the truck one!

Best bet is to stick with LC9, LY5 or LMG from 2007-2009, no VVT. Or delete VVT and swap camshaft on 2010+. LY5 was not FlexFuel, so use your original top end, injectors and such.

If you went Gen III, well, you could bolt your Gen IV stuff on top but use your camshaft unless it is an L33, same cam grind but Gen III style.

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
The 6.2 was made to work with the 6-speed. So that would require getting hold of programming to make it work, if it was ever done by hotrodding community. 6.0 and 6.2 are VVT motors so you would have to add that wiring but not a big deal. Or delete it.

The 6.0, L76, was an option for the Suburban and Yukon XL, it was paired with the 4L70 and 4.10 gears. That would work, but like the 6.2, it will soon take out your transmission unless it's beefed up to handle the power. Note, there an L76 for cars and one for trucks, get the truck one!

Best bet is to stick with LC9, LY5 or LMG from 2007-2009, no VVT. Or delete VVT and swap camshaft on 2010+. LY5 was not FlexFuel, so use your original top end, injectors and such.

If you went Gen III, well, you could bolt your Gen IV stuff on top but use your camshaft unless it is an L33, same cam grind but Gen III style.
It seems like the 6.0 L76 is the path of least resistance. I know slapping it in front of a 4L60e isn't the smartest sounding idea ever, but it has a vette servo and a shift kit in it from when it was rebuilt ~170k ago. Does the L76 have cylinder deactivation?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what your full situation is, but would it be better to rent a vehicle for your trip and wait on the motor install and get exactly what you want instead of rushing to get something that may not suit your needs and possibly cost you more in the end? It just seems like you have resigned yourself to having to settle on something other than you want because of the very unfortunate incident of someone stabbing the motor you were wanting with a fork lift. If I am mis-reading the situation, I am sorry, but thought I’d throw this out there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wish it were that easy! Camshaft position sensor and knock sensors are in different locations and the GenIV crankshaft has a 58x reluctor wheel on it versus the GenIII's 24x. The cam and knock sensor differences can be resolved fairly easily. But the crankshaft has to be removed to swap the reluctor wheel.

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
I’m not sure what your full situation is, but would it be better to rent a vehicle for your trip and wait on the motor install and get exactly what you want instead of rushing to get something that may not suit your needs and possibly cost you more in the end? It just seems like you have resigned yourself to having to settle on something other than you want because of the very unfortunate incident of someone stabbing the motor you were wanting with a fork lift. If I am mis-reading the situation, I am sorry, but thought I’d throw this out there.
I would totally rent a car in this situation- save for the fact that I'm not 21 yet.

At this point- I'm probably going to order an AFM delete kit from Texas Speed. That was my original plan but its not much more money to do a new long block with labor costs included.

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
I wish it were that easy! Camshaft position sensor and knock sensors are in different locations and the GenIV crankshaft has a 58x reluctor wheel on it versus the GenIII's 24x. The cam and knock sensor differences can be resolved fairly easily. But the crankshaft has to be removed to swap the reluctor wheel.
I want to stick with Gen 4 stuff. From what I'm reading, it "sounds" like the L76 swap is straight forward. I can't seem to figure out what is different as far as the harness goes.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to stick with Gen 4 stuff. From what I'm reading, it "sounds" like the L76 swap is straight forward. I can't seem to figure out what is different as far as the harness goes.

I don't think there are any differences. You'd just need a proper tune.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would totally rent a car in this situation- save for the fact that I'm not 21 yet.

Understand. Like I said, I wasn’t sure what your full situation was. That being said, for the money your looking to spend, I’d make sure I looked at all my options. One other thing to consider is will you have enough shake down time to make sure everything is working properly before you take off down the coast. I’d hate to see you rush a motor swap or AFM delete and get stranded somewhere because something got missed or wasn’t quite right yet.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like the 6.0 L76 is the path of least resistance. I know slapping it in front of a 4L60e isn't the smartest sounding idea ever, but it has a vette servo and a shift kit in it from when it was rebuilt ~170k ago. Does the L76 have cylinder deactivation?

Yes, it has AFM.

Thanks Chris! I was thinking of block only and did not clarify! Duh! Too tired, making mistakes, will shut up now! LOL