Engine replacement with little time. Any input welcome!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
I don't think there are any differences. You'd just need a proper tune.
The 07-08 LMG 5.3s didn’t have VVT though so if that’s something that has a harness connector that will throw a wrench in things.

Understand. Like I said, I wasn’t sure what your full situation was. That being said, for the money your looking to spend, I’d make sure I looked at all my options. One other thing to consider is will you have enough shake down time to make sure everything is working properly before you take off down the coast. I’d hate to see you rush a motor swap or AFM delete and get stranded somewhere because something got missed or wasn’t quite right yet.
I’m not the one doing the work. I have three days booked at the speed shop so its a non issue- I just need either a long block- either an L76 or an LMG or the parts to do the AFM delete is all.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 07-08 LMG 5.3s didn’t have VVT though so if that’s something that has a harness connector that will throw a wrench in things.

I’m not the one doing the work. I have three days booked at the speed shop so its a non issue- I just need either a long block- either an L76 or an LMG or the parts to do the AFM delete is all.

If you delete AFM on an L76, you can delete the VVT too, very few aftermarket cams out yet to work with it anyway. It is not hard to add the wiring to the harness and ECM either. If you grab a motor, try to get the harness and computer with it. Look for L96s or LY6s, the latter are not FlexFuel and neither has AFM but both have VVT. These are the workhorse motors used in the 2500s from SUVs, Pickup, Vans and even Isuzu box trucks.

Any luck finding something quick and close by?

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
If you delete AFM on an L76, you can delete the VVT too, very few aftermarket cams out yet to work with it anyway. It is not hard to add the wiring to the harness and ECM either. If you grab a motor, try to get the harness and computer with it. Look for L96s or LY6s, the latter are not FlexFuel and neither has AFM but both have VVT. These are the workhorse motors used in the 2500s from SUVs, Pickup, Vans and even Isuzu box trucks.

Any luck finding something quick and close by?
I have a good bottom end- its the cam and up I need. Not gonna grab an unknown condition motor from a wrecking yard. It sounds like if I wanna put a VVT motor into a vehicle without the VVT harness (the 07/08 5.3s) I’m out of luck without deleting it because the cam sensor is different.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a good bottom end- its the cam and up I need. Not gonna grab an unknown condition motor from a wrecking yard. It sounds like if I wanna put a VVT motor into a vehicle without the VVT harness (the 07/08 5.3s) I’m out of luck without deleting it because the cam sensor is different.

Ok, just do an AFM delete and march on, what camshaft did you pick out?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris! I was thinking of block only and did not clarify! Duh! Too tired, making mistakes, will shut up now! LOL

No worries, James! After having to sell my head/cam/intake LQ9 and FLT Level6 4L65E because of GenIV incompatibility, the info is burned into my nugget.

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand. Like I said, I wasn’t sure what your full situation was. That being said, for the money your looking to spend, I’d make sure I looked at all my options. One other thing to consider is will you have enough shake down time to make sure everything is working properly before you take off down the coast. I’d hate to see you rush a motor swap or AFM delete and get stranded somewhere because something got missed or wasn’t quite right yet.

This. All day long.

I'd obtain another vehicle for the trip, travel by another method, or I'd delay it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz