Engine replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
comes down to price most of the time.

blueflammed makes a good point. A 350 with a cam and some bolt ons will hop.

BUT, coming from a family of motor heads race cars and race boats: There is no replacement for displacement. And when the ass drops, it's all about the cubes.

I love my HT383. Many people underestimate my truck at first thinking it is a 14 year old truck with high miles. Mine will melt the tires, slide sideways...any of the studpid shit a person could want to do. I always forget exact numbers but it is something like this: 267hp at the tires, 397tq at the tires....factor in a 24% drivetrain loss and that is 350hp / 500tq at the flywheel. Not to shaby in my opinion. It is a truck, I use it like a truck and the torque helps.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...precision engines in Houston has got them for $1195 with $500 core

5.7 350 Pickup Roller 1996-2001 R 1195 500

Link:
http://www.precisionengine.com/rebuilt-engines/chevy-gmc/index.html

While a HT383 will indeed have greater performance, It's not going to last as long as 4 rebuilt engines that you could get for the same price.

Edit: forgot to mention they have these also...

Chevy 383 Stroker Crate Engine with 330 horsepower and 420 ft-lbs of torque. This engine is great for towing & heavy vehicles. $2,599.95

Chevy 383 Stroker Vortec ZZ4 Crate Engine with 395 hb and 410 ft-lbs of torque $3,499.95

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
dang, $2000 for LS1..............we paid $1100 for a longblock TBI 350 in yard truck.

those are killer prices.

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imo

imo......i kicked around putting a cam and new intake and all those goodies on my 350. but the money you will spend doing all that and getting it tuned. you still wont make the power or barely pushing over a stock 5.3. there are links all over the net...just search in google. tons of people have done 350 to 5.3 swaps. ive been told there is now and wiring harness that links the two computers together to allow your stock cluster to work properly. i wouldnt do an ls1 simply because there are countless dyno numbers proving that although its 65lbs lighter the power differences with the same mods installed on a 5.3 is very minimal. if you are going to put a new motor in and dont mind some extra work. 5.3 hands down. there very reasonable. if not ill gladly sell you my complete motor because i would like to be doing the swap in the near future lol.

OP
OP
X

XxBIGxTEXxX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea those are some killer price!!! What i will do is contact them and see if i could get the HT383E through them and whats the price for it cause that will be the route i would most likely take!!! Just got to convince the parents.
Bowie freak, What modifications did u do when u got ur engine in the truck? and if u did some, what all did u do so i can make sure i do it to mine too!!!

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
383 is cool but that shit should be saved for a old cutty or something. throw the vortec 5.7 rebuilt or fresh crate in with upgraded cam and lifters. top is off with some decent headers, cai, msd ignition and you will zip around and most likely outlast 2 383 motors

young_2010_chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u can pick up 5.3s all day long in oklahoma from 300-600 all day long most with low miles

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run the standard bolt ons in addition to the motor: JBA shorties, magnaflow cats, borla cat back, K&N FIPK, custom tune. Tune being the most dramatic aside from the motor. I have posted a feew times somewhere what the tune did for a power gain on the HT383...

Found it: base line with a Hyper tech programmer: 226.6hp / 297.3tq
After a few fuel air changes and a couple more pulls on the dyno: 261.7hp / 378.3tq

A very nice gain with a tune if you ask me. the motor was screaming for more fuel, I run the stock fuel system and it is not quiet maxed out yet but if I cam the truck it will be.

OP
OP
X

XxBIGxTEXxX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bowtiefreak, So if i just go with the engine and at some JBA shorties, some pulleys, Magnaflow exhaust system with the cats, and K&N CAI and a dyno tune i would be good to go or do u recommend to add some additional things to the engine so i could get a better performance and for the engine not to break up on me again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo