Engine not getting up to normal operating temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had my 2000 Tahoe 5.3 4x4 go into the shop for front end damage repairs a while ago and they replace my radiator. Now with the cold temps, I'm realizing my engine is not getting up to normal temp like it used to. The temp gauge used to read almost middle of guage (210° or something like that) now it's only 170-180°. If I take long freeway trips it did get up there but 20 minutes or so on the freeway and it does not. And my cabin heater does not get very warm. Any suggestions? Let me know if you need more info. Help, it's cold.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad thermostat? In the mean time bungee cord a piece of cardboard over the grille to get some extra heating going on.

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a stuck open thermostat or they used the wrong one, or they used one of those super cheap radiators that does not restrict the flow into the reservoir (another member had the same issue recently).
Ok, thanks. I'll look into that.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
could be a stuck open thermostat or they used the wrong one, or they used one of those super cheap radiators that does not restrict the flow into the reservoir (another member had the same issue recently).

Spot on. Bet they installed a radiator without the restrictor in the line to the reservoir.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spot on. Bet they installed a radiator without the restrictor in the line to the reservoir.
Can y’all esplain this to us naive to the subject? :)

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be they didn't bleed/burp the system well enough? you may have air trapped in it.

When you start it up in the morning, listen if you hear gurgling, there may be air in the heatercore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove