Engine life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlanham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a 2005 Yukon XL 5.3 278k miles. I've done absolutely nothing to the engine since purchasing new. Any recommendations on what I can do to the engine to give it a lil longer life? Vehicle looks and runs like brand new but I realize it has alot of miles and probably about to kick the bucket. Uses no oil, water, etc. Truthfully it looks and runs like its brand new.
Thanks!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep doing what you’re doing, which I assume means regular maintenance like oil changes and whatnot.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 2005 Yukon XL 5.3 278k miles. I've done absolutely nothing to the engine since purchasing new. Any recommendations on what I can do to the engine to give it a lil longer life? Vehicle looks and runs like brand new but I realize it has alot of miles and probably about to kick the bucket. Uses no oil, water, etc. Truthfully it looks and runs like its brand new.
Thanks!

Yup keep up whatever you been doing you got a ways to go yet if it is running like you say and has no blowby or leaks etc like you described. Keep that oil changed and if anything more often, like when the oil looks dirty enough to be changed even if not due yet. Mine is at 312K, and has some signs of a long life here and there but still feels strong and reliable. Would have preferred to have the AFM deleted before I got it but it is what it is.

OP
OP
T

Tlanham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup keep up whatever you been doing you got a ways to go yet if it is running like you say and has no blowby or leaks etc like you described. Keep that oil changed and if anything more often, like when the oil looks dirty enough to be changed even if not due yet. Mine is at 312K, and has some signs of a long life here and there but still feels strong and reliable. Would have preferred to have the AFM deleted before I got it but it is what it is.
I really appreciate your response.. your advice is well taken. Again Thanks!

Sean James

Reaction score
Mobil1 or your favorite flavor of synthetic oil. I've never had any engine problems with 5 Chevy / GMC V-8 cars and trucks I currently own, since I started using it 15 years ago. Now 4l60E's are another issue altogether.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 2005 Yukon XL 5.3 278k miles. Any recommendations on what I can do to the engine to give it a lil longer life?
Thanks!

The #1 cause of engine failure is a faulty cooling system. Make sure efans are working properly, clean radiator fins. Replace thermostat, water pump and coolant when needed.

I removed my efan assembly a few years ago to get behind the radiator and sprayed the fins from the back side (opposite direction of air flow). You wouldn't believe the junk that came out.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold my '88 C 2500 last year with 392,000. Do what they suggest (oil/coolant, etc.)

And I also kept the engine area & under side very clean. To catch a warning.

Consider your coolant hoses.... if you have no problems, maybe they are aged?

But, good job!!

I bought my 2005 Yukon XL slt last year with 140,000 ( VERY CLEAN/ well maintained)

I hope my mileage is good to me, as yours is.