Engine hours

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't find anything about it. Maybe someone knows what "engine hours" show?

My car shows about 20 engine hours and 4.000 liters of fuel consumed. I looked in the manual and it only says that: "The engine hours show the engine hours", but not since when. Does it show from production, last reset, last battery off? I'm sure that other engine hours used to be there, so it must have been reset at some point. I tried too reset the engine hours with the steering wheel button, just to try if i am accidently reset this value, but it didn't work.

So I don't know how I reset the engine hours. I had longer my Battery off, when I did my rust protection, but then he didn't reset the "fuel used", why the engine hour's?

So does anyone know, from what point in time these engine hours apply?

seanstock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't find anything about it. Maybe someone knows what "engine hours" show?

My car shows about 20 engine hours and 4.000 liters of fuel consumed. I looked in the manual and it only says that: "The engine hours show the engine hours", but not since when. Does it show from production, last reset, last battery off? I'm sure that other engine hours used to be there, so it must have been reset at some point. I tried too reset the engine hours with the steering wheel button, just to try if i am accidently reset this value, but it didn't work.

So I don't know how I reset the engine hours. I had longer my Battery off, when I did my rust protection, but then he didn't reset the "fuel used", why the engine hour's?

So does anyone know, from what point in time these engine hours apply?
Since the production of your car.... .data is stored same place as odometer.. battery no effect... eprom ... if its not working you have a corrupted eprom.

seanstock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 with 130,000 miles and i know it was a long-distance vehicle in the past, it only has 1900 Hours on the engine... The industry average is 35 X Hours = Mileage if you are lower, less wear and tear on engine vehicle was more highway miles less startups, less idle time. Higher Ratio. Less preferable.

seanstock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 with 130,000 miles and i know it was a long-distance vehicle in the past, it only has 1900 Hours on the engine... The industry average is 35 X Hours = Mileage if you are lower, less wear and tear on engine vehicle was more highway miles less startups, less idle time. Higher Ratio. Less preferable.
Sorry.. depending on your math... If you do Miles/Hours then the higher the number, the better.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine hourse mean nothing. You have no way to derive whether they were spent driving 40, 55, 65, 70, 80 or even 90mph or much of it is sitting at idle.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have no way to derive whether they were spent driving 40, 55, 65, 70, 80 or even 90mph or much of it is sitting at idle.
Not directly, no.
One can however divide the odometer by the hour-ometer and get Miles per Hour.
If the previous owner(s) never bothered to reset the hour-ometer, that's average MpH over the vehicle's lifetime.

I'd prefer a vehicle whose average lifetime MpH was 30MpH or greater - that'd be mostly or all highway miles.
On the other hand, a vehicle used as an NYC taxicab would more likely have an average lifetime MpH UNDER 15MpH.

seanstock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not directly, no.
One can however divide the odometer by the hour-ometer and get Miles per Hour.
If the previous owner(s) never bothered to reset the hour-ometer, that's average MpH over the vehicle's lifetime.

I'd prefer a vehicle whose average lifetime MpH was 30MpH or greater - that'd be mostly or all highway miles.
On the other hand, a vehicle used as an NYC taxicab would more likely have an average lifetime MpH UNDER 15MpH.
Agreed... it means lower hours for more miles or thqt if you have your mileage at 150k and half the hours, your engine has run HALF the time... PERIOD.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Yukon Denali is at 90K miles & 2,534hrs = 35.5mph avg. Since my last fill up I'm at 36mph.
20231125_190553.jpg 20231125_185621.jpg