Engine dies - but why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Mosher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Clean the throttle body and MAF then take it on the freeway and do high speed run to clear everything out.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a fuel pressure gauge kit on my way home tonight. At idle it seems to be maintaining about 42 psi. I did also clean out the throttle body. After I did that and started the engine it ran for maybe 15 seconds or so and shut off but started fine again. Not sure if it was anything related or not.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still seems like we got something going on here. No issue for the whole week then just dropped off the fuel pressure kit now and had trouble starting in the parking lot. Doesn't seem like the fuel pump was the issue. The one time it died at home after cleaning the throttle body it maintained pressure. MAF sensor was also cleaned.

Maybe a bit of an out of the box question, but here goes. I do have a fault code for a knock sensor. Is it possible that the sensor stops reading and the timing gets messed up causing the engine to shutdown?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still seems like we got something going on here. No issue for the whole week then just dropped off the fuel pressure kit now and had trouble starting in the parking lot. Doesn't seem like the fuel pump was the issue. The one time it died at home after cleaning the throttle body it maintained pressure. MAF sensor was also cleaned.

Maybe a bit of an out of the box question, but here goes. I do have a fault code for a knock sensor. Is it possible that the sensor stops reading and the timing gets messed up causing the engine to shutdown?

I think you'd get a knock sensor circuit code.

With the way it abruptly shuts off the same way it would when you turn the key off, I'm still leaning toward a circuit opening. Maybe at or in the PCM, maybe the BCM, maybe within the key switch or harness from there, along the column and into the abyss under the dash. Have you tried shaking harnesses and tapping on the connectors and the actual components (PCM, BCM, etc.) with a rubber mallet or plastic hammer? Remove the battery hold-down cleat and try rocking and bumping the battery around to test for an intermittent open circuit.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub the code i have is P0327.

I haven't tried any of that yet. I've only tried jiggling the ignition switch around. Was just going to look up the schematic for the ignition circuit.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A long shot, but in order to rule it out, remove both PCM connectors and inspect for water migration and pin fitment. Also, the moisture gaskets might need to be replaced if they're not in good shape.

EDIT: It also wouldn't hurt to unplug all the connectors on the BCM and at least reseat them. Also use a little contact cleaner.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub the code i have is P0327.

I haven't tried any of that yet. I've only tried jiggling the ignition switch around. Was just going to look up the schematic for the ignition circuit.

The low voltage code would usually just cause that MIL and maybe, at most, marginally reduced power due to retarded timing. I don't even see an open circuit (something like a P0325) causing it to shut off. But, I can't say it couldn't happen. Still, it's the knock sensor circuit- there shouldn't be any knock at all under the very low load conditions such as when idling or even idling in gear. Even still, the response should be to retard timing and not shut the engine off.

Or, maybe it's suddenly and erroneously reporting an obscene amount of knock that the PCM retards the timing so much that the engine dies because it's at low RPM? I'd still replace the knock sensors and the harness because there's a problem here even if it's not the cause of the subject at hand. They're a critical component and are known to be problematic due to their location.

Did you replace the alternator as part of troubleshooting this issue or did the issue start after replacing the alternator? New and refurbished parts can be faulty.

I wouldn't worry so much with tracing the ignition circuit specifically. It's not necessary to trace an intermittent open (wiring or solder joint) that might happen from movement or temperature swings.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was just out messing with it. I pounded, pulled and twisted on pretty much anything under the hood I could get at. It never missed a beat. I pulled one of the PCM connectors off and noticed something I've never seen before. There's some kind of oil in here. To me that's not normal.

Attachments

• 20230826_132159.jpg
    20230826_132159.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230826_132419.jpg
    20230826_132419.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 6

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was just out messing with it. I pounded, pulled and twisted on pretty much anything under the hood I could get at. It never missed a beat. I pulled one of the PCM connectors off and noticed something I've never seen before. There's some kind of oil in here. To me that's not normal.

How da hell?!

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub ok that was my understanding of the sensor too. Yea it was to change timing when the engine is under load.

The alternator was changed because the bearing was on its way out and starting to squeak. It had been over a month when this started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts