ELM327 OBD Bluetooth Diagnostic Module That Can Scan Other Modules Such As ABS, BCM, TCM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a cheap ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth diagnostic module that I have used and continue to utilize in conjunction with the Torque Lite app for about 7ish years now. Works great! Recently I downloaded a few more diagnostic apps to branch out and test in line with my new 1099 intendent contractor work which involves inspecting used vehicles, one of these apps which is called CarScanner. This app has the ability to scan additional modules beyond OBD codes, which includes the body control module, transmission control module, airbags, etcetera amongst various other modules too (screenshots attached!)

When I attempt to scan any of the other modules beyond OBD, CarScanner reports that my ELM327 dongle is "defective," but rather it means that it is incompatible. I can read OBD trouble codes but cannot read any of the other modules, lest I receive this error about incompatibility or defectiveness.

My question is, what other OBD Bluetooth dongles are compatible with reading these various other modules? I have done a little but of research and have no definitely matter to this question. It seems to me that more of the "appropriate" diagnostic dongles are intended for use with laptops as such and have a USB connection which does me absolutely no good since I am using my Android phone and a Bluetooth connection rather than a laptop that has USB ports.

I am including some screenshots from my phone for reference. If you have any questions, just ask as I am just typing this up real quick!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429_105720.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_105720.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230425_103912.jpg
    Screenshot_20230425_103912.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230426_100933.jpg
    20230426_100933.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230426_100939.jpg
    20230426_100939.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the ELM327 "protocol". Need a bi-directional scan tool to talk to all modules across all brands. Scotty Kilmer has mentioned them before.
Why does CarScanner have these additional functions if there is no possible way to utilize them with a phone?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does CarScanner have these additional functions if there is no possible way to utilize them with a phone?
I have a number of different "bluetooth" adapters and have tried all of them with a variety of "apps" available and none of them do more than obd functions
I will note that these results are with GM vehicles only
other people have reportedly say they work but I have not seen it happen, they say this app or that app but I tried them and nada
if you really want to do a more in depth check of a variety of modules and vehicles it would be wise to invest in a tablet or portable type tool, if you are doing this in the course of employment or self-employment the cost of the device is a tax credit and will do nothing but pay for its self more and more in the long run.
everything you do in the course of self employment is a tax credit, tools, mileage, supplies, computers, printers, internet access, storage, phone service, bank fee's, certain square footage of rent all the cost's involved everything A-Z. if you buy a tool and it requires a yearly subscription that fee is tax credit every year.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a number of different "bluetooth" adapters and have tried all of them with a variety of "apps" available and none of them do more than obd functions
I will note that these results are with GM vehicles only
other people have reportedly say they work but I have not seen it happen, they say this app or that app but I tried them and nada
if you really want to do a more in depth check of a variety of modules and vehicles it would be wise to invest in a tablet or portable type tool, if you are doing this in the course of employment or self-employment the cost of the device is a tax credit and will do nothing but pay for its self more and more in the long run.
everything you do in the course of self employment is a tax credit, tools, mileage, supplies, computers, printers, internet access, storage, phone service, bank fee's, certain square footage of rent all the cost's involved everything A-Z. if you buy a tool and it requires a yearly subscription that fee is tax credit every year.

I know all about tax write-offs, I am a Realtor as well. It's not free money like some may think. Also reading codes is all that I have to do - I'm not going to invest more in this side "profession" but I am just curious.

CarScanner has recommendations for OBD Bluetooth dongles but also does not explain in detail regarding anything related to these other modules. hey also have no way to contact them via their website. https://www.carscanner.info/

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know all about tax write-offs, I am a Realtor as well. It's not free money like some may think. Also reading codes is all that I have to do - I'm not going to invest more in this side "profession" but I am just curious.

CarScanner has recommendations for OBD Bluetooth dongles but also does not explain in detail regarding anything related to these other modules. hey also have no way to contact them via their website. https://www.carscanner.info/
there are many that claim they can read srs, abs etc and that may be so for other manufactures but I have not found one that works for GM in that manner, I even reached out to one that is very popular (advertised a lot) but can't recall the brand name at the moment and specifically asked if it would read abs/srs on gm and they said no.
there might be something out there that works, if you find it let us know which one and which app.
as for the tax credits it's not free money, it's a credit which tends to be in your favor is all. there are a lot of exemptions that can be used. versus a person working 9-5 for someone else earning those credits instead.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are many that claim they can read srs, abs etc and that may be so for other manufactures but I have not found one that works for GM in that manner, I even reached out to one that is very popular (advertised a lot) but can't recall the brand name at the moment and specifically asked if it would read abs/srs on gm and they said no.
there might be something out there that works, if you find it let us know which one and which app.
as for the tax credits it's not free money, it's a credit which tends to be in your favor is all. there are a lot of exemptions that can be used. versus a person working 9-5 for someone else earning those credits instead.
The screenshots I took of CarScanner, I can't say if it was a GM vehicle or not. It was not my own vehicle. I'll try again in a Nissan tomorrow. I'm paid to inspect, not diagnose, so having that in-depth of a tool is not a requirement, only to read base level codes, but I thought it would be neat if I could rather than a necessity.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased the FIXD scanner device for my 2015 Honda Fit out of curiosity, and I found that it only reports the Check Engine Light error at this time (don't have licenses from Honda for more). And, for a $100 annual subscription, they will provide 'services' to you, none of which are related to identifying and analyzing error codes. I should have just flushed that money down the toilet.

I will purchase a true bi-directional scanner for my Honda, when I find one that works.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the FIXD scanner device for my 2015 Honda Fit out of curiosity, and I found that it only reports the Check Engine Light error at this time (don't have licenses from Honda for more). And, for a $100 annual subscription, they will provide 'services' to you, none of which are related to identifying and analyzing error codes. I should have just flushed that money down the toilet.

I will purchase a true bi-directional scanner for my Honda, when I find one that works.
You can always resell it if possible. Throughout my life I have sold PLENTY of items that I no longer wanted for sometimes even more than I paid for them. Although with the demise of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace it has become increasingly difficult to do so. These days I sell on eBay primarily and of course everything is rock bottom prices to compete, and you also have the cost of shipping and materials too. And also I do not ship large things on eBay because the cost is just too immense to do so especially with the possibility that the buyer will want to return the item (item not as described) and then you are really screwed by having to pay to ship it back to yourself OR forfeit and let them keep the item and refund too.