ELIMINATING AIR CONDITIONING ODOR (JK's post from TF)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought over from TF.com

JKmotorsports said:
Here is some info for those who may have an odor problem with their A/C.

ELIMINATING AIR CONDITIONING ODOR
Odors may be emitted from the air conditioning system primarily at start up in hot, humid climates. The following conditions may cause the odor:

Debris is present in the Heating, Ventilation And Air Conditioning (HVAC) module.
Microbial growth on the evaporator core
When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment.

A service kit that can correct the condition is available through General Motors Service Parts Operation (GMSPO) to address this condition.

To remove odors of this type, it is necessary to eliminate the microbial growth and prevent its recurrence. To accomplish this, these two procedures must be completed.

Deodorize the evaporator core using Deodorizing Aerosol Kit.
Install the new air conditioning (A/C) Delayed Blower Control Package.
The blower control package will enable the blower to run at high speed for 5 minutes . It will do so approximately 50 minutes after the ignition has been turned off if the A/C compressor had been engaged for 4 or more minutes prior to shutting off the engine. By doing so, the evaporator case and core are dried out, reducing the chances of a recurring A/C odor.

Perform the following steps in order to deodorize the A/C system:
Ensure that the plenum that draws outside air into the HVAC module is clear of all debris.
Disable the A/C compressor clutch operation by disconnecting the clutch coil electrical connector.
Dry the evaporator core by performing the following steps:
1. Start the vehicle.
2. Set the temperature control on maximum heat.
3. Set the control to the MAX setting.
4. Run the blower motor on high for 10 minutes .

Locate an area in the air conditioning duct between the blower motor and the evaporator core downstream of the blower motor.
Drill a 3.175 mm (0.125 in) hole where it will not interfere with or damage the following components:
1.The blower motor
2.The evaporator core
3.Any other operating part the of system

Wear safety goggles and latex gloves in order to perform the following actions:
1. Continue to operate the blower motor on high.
2. Insert the extension tube of the deodorizer into the hole, past the mark on the extension tube.
3. Use short spray bursts and vary the direction of spray for a 2-3 minute period of time, in order to dispense the contents of the can into the duct.

Shut the engine OFF. Allow the vehicle to sit for 3-5 minutes .
Seal the 3.175 mm (0.125 in) hole with body sealer or RTV gasket compound.
Start the engine.
Operate the blower motor on high for 15-20 minutes to dry.
Reconnect the A/C compressor clutch coil electrical connector.
Verify proper clutch operation.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Damn wth....not sure if I can do that and I've installed alot of stuff!!!
I hope I never have to do this...just want to replace my Cabin filter and call it a day!

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just replaced my cabin filter with a fresh breeze fram, the old ones were black and gross, now no mildew smell, worked fine for me

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing a dirty filter can help with odor also, but only on trucks equipped with the cabin filter. 03+ 2nd gen trucks didn't have the cabin filter option due to space constraints with the dual zone climate control system.

2000Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where is the cabin filter located at?

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

found it

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just replaced my cabin filter with a fresh breeze fram, the old ones were black and gross, now no mildew smell, worked fine for me

I'm doing the same, where the f is my filter UPS?

...good post tast101 much appreciated.

BOSS

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
my rear a/c has gotten so bad.. i havnt turned it on in 3 years.. smells like baby poop :(

my front is starting to lose it's charge so i'm just going to take it to a shop and have them clean out my rear system and charge the whole thing

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing a dirty filter can help with odor also, but only on trucks equipped with the cabin filter. 03+ 2nd gen trucks didn't have the cabin filter option due to space constraints with the dual zone climate control system.

Actually thats not the reason they did away with the filters in 03. Its not a space deal because I've seen people on gmfullsize modify their 03-06 trucks by cutting off the bottom of the housing wher the filter would go in on a 00-02 and install a door or cover from a 00-02 or fab up one themselves to put over the hole that they cut. I heard from a guy who worked for GM that the main reason they did away with them was because of customer complaints. Numerous people would bring in their truck for AC problems and be irate when they are charged over $200 for diagnosing and replacing a clogged filter. It seemed nobody was replacing them or worried about replacing them, so GM decided to just do away with them.

Heres the link of how to retrofit a 03-06 to accept a cabin air filter from a 00-02.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145137

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz