electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

romeric

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello Peeps,

Don't know if this belongs here, but I need some help. I am having issues with all the electrical of the truck. when im driving and I put any of the signal lights all the gauges move back and fourth with the turn signal light, the radio turns on and off constantly (gets annoying). The headlights get brighter when I step on the gas and dim a little when I let of the gas. So I was thinking maybe the alternator is going bad, but i notice the batterie has two positive wires connected to it. looks like one goes to the alternator, and the other goes to the starter. would a bigger alternator with more amp help? or would using two batteries be better? the truck was converted to a TBI if that helps. Always had this issue since i bought it, tried contacting the previous owner to ask, but cant get a hold of him anymore. He did mentioned the day I bought it that he connected the radiator fans to a relay direct to the battery. I put up some pictures on how the battery is connected. thanks in advance.20220701_180719.jpg20220701_180708.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, check all grounds on the battery (including inspecting the cables at the lug connectors to see if there is any corrosion under the cable's insulation) in the engine bay to confirm that they are all clean and tight. Also, there may be a major ground connection underneath on the truck's frame under the driver's seat area.

I would have the battery load tested first on a bench load tester, to rule out the battery being the source of the issue.

Then, I would test the voltage with a volt meter at the battery or alternator output post, and see if the voltage changes significantly between idle and, say, 2500 rpms. If you see significant fluctuations, then I'd say your voltage regulator may be suspect, and that voltage regulator may be within the alternator housing not separately serviceable, and you may need to replace the alternator.

Other folks will chime in with their suggestions.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Signal lights effecting gauges would be an indication of bad ground for the dash. I can't remember where that ground attaches, need to find a wiring diagram for ground distribution. The lights getting brighter with RPM can be in the alternator. Using a voltmeter connected to the battery monitor voltage at idle and then raise RPM's. Could be a regulator going bad which is replaceable in the alt. First clean EVERY battery connection and where they attach at the other end of the cable. Fan relay to battery isn't a problem but it should be fused or have a fusible link.

OP
OP
romeric

romeric

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i checked the terminals of the battery they looked ok. i did take them off and cleaned them just in case. I also checked the volts on the battery while off and on they seemed ok, as well as the alternator (googled on how to do it.) I used a voltmeter to test it. set it to 20v checked batterie while the truck is off gave me 12v. turned it on it jumped to 14v. turned on lights, and radio and dropped to 13v. I also checked the alternator using the voltmeter and it seem ok as well. next i will try to check all the grounds in the truck. I also heard that the new optimum AGM batteries are not that good as well, could that be an issue as well even though the batterie is fine? thanks again for all the help.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fully charged battery at rest should read 12.6 volts minimum. Here's a good article on testing auto systems with a DVOM. I'd do the AC ripple test and see how your alternator checks out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts