Electric Suburban / Electric Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade EV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think it will pass 35 percent of the market overall. No infrastructure to support them and living with one is okay but without faster charging or a battery swap program they are glorified golf carts.
Golf cart? Really? You think this looks or behaves like a golf cart?

1000 horse power; 11,500 pound feet of torque. I bet the horsepower of whatever most of us drive is actually closer to a golf cart’s horsepower than it is to GM’s new electric Hummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have batteries progressed that far already? That was fast! It seemed like yesterday that they were catching fire or exploding at an alarming rate. And the expense you incur when it dies and won't fully charge anymore...it's around half the cost of a new one once you throw in the labor to swap it out. And what are they going to do with the dead batteries? I don't think they have a way to dispose of them that is enviro friendly. Just dig a pit, throw them in and cover them over? Sounds like what they do to nuclear waste. Let future generations worry about it. Fun Fact: Most delivery companies won't ship anything with modern batteries in them because of the hazard and potential of leakage or fire. And you want me to drive around with one?

I would rather have an alcohol/ethanol powered vehicle. I've seen it doesn't take much to convert a gasser to A/E. And it's renewable, not to mention much simpler and cleaner. I guess corporations can't make enough from it, so they're going for a complete system overhaul. And we're going to pay for it in more ways than one. Makes you wonder...

Recycling takes scale to be profitable and once more EV’s take to the road that scale will skyrocket.

It does make you wonder what GM/Ford die hards will do in a few years when all they can buy is an EV GM model...

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/ba...finally-takes-off-in-north-america-and-europe

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think it will pass 35 percent of the market overall. No infrastructure to support them and living with one is okay but without faster charging or a battery swap program they are glorified golf carts.
They are better in virtually every way except for range. And the vast majority of Americans car usage is almost all local (cue all of the “well me and the family drive from North Dakota to Wallyworld towing an RV, boat and BBQ rig/pizza oven every summer and twice in flag day!!”).

I think battery swaps is a good idea and should be the focus. A singular agreed upon standard. Pull into a super charging station and if you don’t have time to top off, swap out the battery pack. With the current market so fragmented though I don’t think that’s likely for quite some time.

An hour of charge gives between 30-50 miles of range. If shopping centers had charging stations the only issue left is the road trip of over 400 miles where you don’t ever stop.

Either way it’s coming and people can choose to be the grumpy old man or embrace it.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recycling takes scale to be profitable and once more EV’s take to the road that scale will skyrocket.

It does make you wonder what GM/Ford die hards will do in a few years when all they can buy is an EV GM model...

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/ba...finally-takes-off-in-north-america-and-europe

JB Straubel, one of the founders of Tesla, left the company last year to found a battery recycling and materials company. The guy is a pretty credible character, he says yields of 80% of the Lithium and 95+% of the Nickel and Cobalt is attainable today. As far as it being less “cost effective” than new cells, that is kind of a moot point.

Whatever the net/net cost of owning an EV in America is going to be, we are all going to be paying it. At least and until the reality of what EV actually costs and provides becomes common knowledge and there is another better cheaper zero emission alternative, like fuel cell tech, etc.

Fossil fuels will be around for a long time, but use by us little people has an expiration date.

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Golf cart? Really? You think this looks or behaves like a golf cart?

1000 horse power; 11,500 pound feet of torque. I bet the horsepower of whatever most of us drive is actually closer to a golf cart’s horsepower than it is to GM’s new electric Hummer.

No horsepower at all waiting for it to charge.

Yep. Golf cart.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No horsepower at all waiting for it to charge.

Yep. Golf cart.
Most golf carts are actually ancient gas engines.

Call the future whatever you like. Either way, it’ll be leaving you in the dust.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JB Straubel, one of the founders of Tesla, left the company last year to found a battery recycling and materials company. The guy is a pretty credible character, he says yields of 80% of the Lithium and 95+% of the Nickel and Cobalt is attainable today. As far as it being less “cost effective” than new cells, that is kind of a moot point.

Whatever the net/net cost of owning an EV in America is going to be, we are all going to be paying it. At least and until the reality of what EV actually costs and provides becomes common knowledge and there is another better cheaper zero emission alternative, like fuel cell tech, etc.

Fossil fuels will be around for a long time, but use by us little people has an expiration date.
The point I was making is that the batteries can be recycled today and as more and more batteries come off line (and into the recycling stream) the cost effectiveness of the process will increase. This will not only drive down the cost of batteries but lower the demand for raw materials that go into them.

And I agree. We all pay for new tech. It’s the way she goes. Forever and always.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most golf carts are actually ancient gas engines.

Call the future whatever you like. Either way, it’ll be leaving you in the dust.

Basic example: hurricane evacuation.

While you’re waiting hours for your vehicle to charge I’ll be driving past you with a full tank of gas and as many full 5 gallon gasoline cans as I care to carry. Grid goes down, you’re not going anywhere. Even when it comes back up, better hope the CC machine is working because you probably don’t believe in carrying cash ether...

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point I was making is that the batteries can be recycled today and as more and more batteries come off line (and into the recycling stream) the cost effectiveness of the process will increase. This will not only drive down the cost of batteries but lower the demand for raw materials that go into them.

And I agree. We all pay for new tech. It’s the way she goes. Forever and always.

No argument here on the recycling facts.

Even if the combined cost of a mix of new and recycled battery materials costs more than all new, recycled will be a major part of the mix. Public policy will make it so.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basic example: hurricane evacuation.

While you’re waiting hours for your vehicle to charge I’ll be driving past you with a full tank of gas and as many full 5 gallon gasoline cans as I care to carry. Grid goes down, you’re not going anywhere. Even when it comes back up, better hope the CC machine is working because you probably don’t believe in carrying cash ether...
I don’t live where there are hurricanes.

Like I said, you’re welcome to live in fear of the future. To each their own. [emoji3577]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076