Electric Cooling Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wired like that will switch the B+ (12v+), won't it? How are you sending power to the fans? Constant, with the ground switched? I'm confused.

If the power to the fans is constant, and you want to switch the ground, you'll need to run the ground through the two conductors that go to the red wires on that diagram.

Using that to switch ground will probably mean that the LED won't light up, even if you put 12v to the terminal that has the black wire. Polarity matters with LEDs. I could be wrong.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Wired like that will switch the B+ (12v+), won't it? How are you sending power to the fans? Constant, with the ground switched? I'm confused.

If the power to the fans is constant, and you want to switch the ground, you'll need to run the ground through the two conductors that go to the red wires on that diagram.

Using that to switch ground will probably mean that the LED won't light up, even if you put 12v to the terminal that has the black wire. Polarity matters with LEDs. I could be wrong.
Not sure how he is wiring it, if it was me I would wire it like the image shown below with a relay. I would run the switch thru pin 86 on one end of the switch to power and the other end ground. Pin 85 needs to be grounded to the chassis of the suv. Pin 87 is power to the fans.

Attachments

• 20230210_150951.jpg
    20230210_150951.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 5

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He shows a 20a switch and I'm not sure that's going to survive without using a relay. Not sure how much current the fans draw.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to use the stock harness with relays just controlling turning the grounds on and off with a switch instead of the pcm

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So pretty much I'd put a ground for the switch itself and then run the ground wire from the fan?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Need to figure out which two terminals on that switch are the actual contacts for the switch. (Normally if you're going to switch power, the only reason that ground lug is there is for the LED, so it can be ignored.

You'd run a ground to the switch, then the other terminal of the switch goes to the fan relay ground. In order for that to work the relay would need to have a constant power (12v) and the switched ground.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to figure out which two terminals on that switch are the actual contacts for the switch. (Normally if you're going to switch power, the only reason that ground lug is there is for the LED, so it can be ignored.

You'd run a ground to the switch, then the other terminal of the switch goes to the fan relay ground. In order for that to work the relay would need to have a constant power (12v) and the switched ground.
ok thanks! I'll see what happens

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you know which wire is the ground that needs to go to the PCM, that would be your relay ground to run through the switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts