Electric Cooling Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, all my 2005 Tahoe's cooling fans are not coming on no matter what. This is an ongoing issue, that while the truck stays steady at 205-210 while moving, it does climb a bit while sitting at idle for 15+ minutes. Direct 12 volts to the fan shows that they work, so it's wiring for sure.

Tried swapping out all of the relays for known working ones and the fuses to no avail.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the fan assembly? May try cleaning up the relay center or getting a new relay center. I may also try finding a ground to clean up.

If I really can't be bothered I'll just wire it to the ignition so it's always on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, all my 2005 Tahoe's cooling fans are not coming on no matter what. This is an ongoing issue, that while the truck stays steady at 205-210 while moving, it does climb a bit while sitting at idle for 15+ minutes. Direct 12 volts to the fan shows that they work, so it's wiring for sure.

Tried swapping out all of the relays for known working ones and the fuses to no avail.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the fan assembly? May try cleaning up the relay center or getting a new relay center. I may also try finding a ground to clean up.

If I really can't be bothered I'll just wire it to the ignition so it's always on.
have you tested the fans? nevermind I see that now
have you checked fan harness? if there is voltage at the relay and the fans work with 12v applied then there has to be a break somewhere in between.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try unplugging the temp sensor, both fans should come on full speed, if they do replace the temp sensor.
he said the temperature gauge shows normal temps while driving and gets hot when stopped, I would presume the sensor is working properly
and I totally missed he tested the fans already lol

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he said the temperature gauge shows normal temps while driving and gets hot when stopped, I would presume the sensor is working properly
and I totally missed he tested the fans already lol
temp sensors are two part, one side goes to the cluster, other to the pcm. pulling the plug off the temp sensor should default the fans to hi speed, showing the relays work.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gauge on the cluster is notoriously inaccurate. From what I gathered when researching parameters for tuning my PCM when doing this swap on my 2004, the factory has low speed fan turn-on at 226* which seems way high. I set mine at 205* and have only had them come on once one the 3 or 4 drives since install.

Do they come on when you turn the A/C on?

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gauge on the cluster is notoriously inaccurate. From what I gathered when researching parameters for tuning my PCM when doing this swap on my 2004, the factory has low speed fan turn-on at 226* which seems way high. I set mine at 205* and have only had them come on once one the 3 or 4 drives since install.

Do they come on when you turn the A/C on?
will try with the coolant temp sensor unplugged. And no with AC on they do not turn on.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to test could be unplugging the connector from the fan harness to the PCM. Then on the end that runs to the relay box you can ground the green wire for low speed or blue for high. That should tell you if it is harness/relay related.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to test could be unplugging the connector from the fan harness to the PCM. Then on the end that runs to the relay box you can ground the green wire for low speed or blue for high. That should tell you if it is harness/relay related.
Ok, wouldn't I need to give power to the part that goes into the PCM too aswell as ground aswell? Or wait actually the relays would give it power.

And to ground it would I just splice into the wire and run it to a good ground?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645