Electric Cooling Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried swapping in the other pcm, did not work either. But with this different pcm the truck is in limp mode or something, shifting horribly. When revving in park too it feels different and is slow to come back to idle.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried swapping in the other pcm, did not work either. But with this different pcm the truck is in limp mode or something, shifting horribly. When revving in park too it feels different and is slow to come back to idle.

You can’t just swap in PCM’s without programming them to your VIN and doing a VATS relearn. First thing- we need more info, the more the better. Have you owned the truck for a long time and the fans recently quit working or did you just buy it? Were the fans ever working that you know of? Why do you have 2 PCM’s? Is the Fan turned on in the PCM tune (s)? Is a Tech2 available? Any info you can provide will be of help.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t just swap in PCM’s without programming them to your VIN and doing a VATS relearn. First thing- we need more info, the more the better. Have you owned the truck for a long time and the fans recently quit working or did you just buy it? Were the fans ever working that you know of? Why do you have 2 PCM’s? Is the Fan turned on in the PCM tune (s)? Is a Tech2 available? Any info you can provide will be of help.
The second pcm is vats relearned.

Ok that makes sense, and that I know of the fans have never worked, I've never heard them come on when me or my mother owned the truck. I have a second pcm because it was leftover from a friends partout so he gave it to me among other parts.

Not sure if the fan is tuned for it or not, and no I dont have access to a tech2 unfortunately.

I used a test light for ground on the pcm connectors, but since it's not grounded unless the fan is running that's useless I realized.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is looking a bit suspect. A bunch of electrical tape and corrosion, but it worked when I put ground to it so I doubt it's a problem 20230205_142724.jpg20230205_142720.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second pcm is vats relearned.

Ok that makes sense, and that I know of the fans have never worked, I've never heard them come on when me or my mother owned the truck. I have a second pcm because it was leftover from a friends partout so he gave it to me among other parts.

Not sure if the fan is tuned for it or not, and no I dont have access to a tech2 unfortunately.

I used a test light for ground on the pcm connectors, but since it's not grounded unless the fan is running that's useless I realized.
Did you do the relearn after you installed the PCM because that’s how it needs to be done unless you mean it’s had VATS disabled. And if it isn’t tied to your VIN it has no way of knowing what engine, trans and options your truck has so it might just go into limp mode.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the relearn after you installed the PCM because that’s how it needs to be done unless you mean it’s had VATS disabled. And if it isn’t tied to your VIN it has no way of knowing what engine, trans and options your truck has so it might just go into limp mode.
Yeah that makes sense and oh I'm stupid all I did was pair the key with the pcm so itll start I didnt do a vats relearn lmao.

For this fan issue I may end up having to go to the dealer for them to add the fan to the pcm in tech2, not sure how much itll cost.

Other alternative is to convert it to a clutch fan lol

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What we know with certainty is, it isn’t the relays. (The harness looks fine to me.)

As @Rocket Man said in post #9, if you had access to a Tech2 (not sure if other bidirectional tools can do the same, they very well may) you could command the fans on via the PCM. If that doesn’t turn them on it could indicate issue with PCM. Otherwise, might be a myriad of issues not allowing the the PCM to think they need to be turned on.

BTW, tossing a random PCM in and running the truck is potentially disastrous. You would need to know what OS and calibrations are on this spare and that they match what came from the factory.

Good luck.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What we know with certainty is, it isn’t the relays. (The harness looks fine to me.)

As @Rocket Man said in post #9, if you had access to a Tech2 (not sure if other bidirectional tools can do the same, they very well may) you could command the fans on via the PCM. If that doesn’t turn them on it could indicate issue with PCM. Otherwise, might be a myriad of issues not allowing the the PCM to think they need to be turned on.

BTW, tossing a random PCM in and running the truck is potentially disastrous. You would need to know what OS and calibrations are on this spare and that they match what came from the factory.

Good luck.
I know tuning software like hptuners can be used. What else would cause the pcm to not turn them on? Honestly I'm close to wiring a manual switch to them lol

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know tuning software like hptuners can be used. What else would cause the pcm to not turn them on? Honestly I'm close to wiring a manual switch to them lol
you need to pretty much just turn the fans on in the tune via hpt. and plug it all in of course.

years ago after burning 3 clutch fans up. i did a efan swap in my 03 gmc 2500 hd rand dual relays one for each fan used a temp probe, as well as a manual on/off switch in the cab. ran cooler and the ac was never colder.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided I would direct wire the fans with switches. The switches are working but its not toggling the ground on and off. I had the ground for the fan on the middle of this. 20230210_151103.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907