Electric Cooling Fan Temp Settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rilesnpsd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,
Couldn’t find this info anywhere…

Had some maintenance done to the Yukon and the tuner at the shop tweaked the factory fan set points. Why? I don’t know.

It never has ran hot and always kicked on the fans as needed (if warm out and or running the AC).

Does any one know the factory on and off temp set points for both fan one and fan 2?

The fans are running entirely way too often without the AC on and it’s not that hot here in San Diego. Temp gauge doesn’t get above 210 mark since the fans kick on before it can even get up to temp.

Thanks for your help!

2006 Yukon Denali- 6.0

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this.

I’ve also grabbed a couple stock BIN files and examined as well. IIRC, those line up to that image. Mine are set lower but haven’t found them to run in excess, yet. Fan 1 on at 205*.

OP
OP
rilesnpsd

rilesnpsd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m definitely ok with them coming on slightly sooner, but when the actual engine temp is 205 and the fans are on power ranger mode, it’s too much.
What do you have your at Wes?

ironrickbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found this.

I’ve also grabbed a couple stock BIN files and examined as well. IIRC, those line up to that image. Mine are set lower but haven’t found them to run in excess, yet. Fan 1 on at 205*.
Where can I find a single soul that will help me adjust the temp of my fans ... all the mechanic shops say "I can't do that", or say it can't be done . Why is this so hard .... am I going yo have to spend $1000 on a HPTuner and credits and spend the next year figuring it out ?? .I'm not stoopid . But every mechanic I talk to , doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about . The fans DONT come on when it gets to 220 so how are they supposed to keep the truck cool . If the thermostat is 210 , and the truck stays at 210 , (until temp over heating from pulling trailer) and by theory should stay there ( at 210) how does a fan set at 227° ever help ?? How does that have ANY cooling effect on the situation??? Sounds like a GM f*ck up to me, really ! Took it to a mechanic this week ... he said " fans are working fine ... thank you , $150"
is it the dealer ?
A hot rod shop ?
A custom car shop ( got one across the street)
An ad on Facebook emarketplace? ...
Or spend $1000 and fugire it out ALONE ( NO OFFENCE)
WHY IS THIS SOOOOO HARD

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely ok with them coming on slightly sooner, but when the actual engine temp is 205 and the fans are on power ranger mode, it’s too much.
What do you have your at Wes?
mine are set by BB to come on 10deg's cooler than stock I believe.
heat kills..... period so if it runs good I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I find a single soul that will help me adjust the temp of my fans ... all the mechanic shops say "I can't do that", or say it can't be done . Why is this so hard .... am I going yo have to spend $1000 on a HPTuner and credits and spend the next year figuring it out ?? .I'm not stoopid . But every mechanic I talk to , doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about . The fans DONT come on when it gets to 220 so how are they supposed to keep the truck cool . If the thermostat is 210 , and the truck stays at 210 , (until temp over heating from pulling trailer) and by theory should stay there ( at 210) how does a fan set at 227° ever help ?? How does that have ANY cooling effect on the situation??? Sounds like a GM f*ck up to me, really ! Took it to a mechanic this week ... he said " fans are working fine ... thank you , $150"
is it the dealer ?
A hot rod shop ?
A custom car shop ( got one across the street)
An ad on Facebook emarketplace? ...
Or spend $1000 and fugire it out ALONE ( NO OFFENCE)
WHY IS THIS SOOOOO HARD
if your fans are really an issue and you want to fix it efficiently. then go out and get a toggle switch, some good gauge wire and a relay and wire up a manual switch then you can have fans on command and it won't even cost you much.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's because the parameters are not modifiable without flashing the PCM - even the dealer can't change the defaults with a Tech2. This can be done with a variety of tools. I used a VCX Nano in combination with PCM Hammer and TunerPro for around $130. That's a bit of a learning curve and hope that there's an XDF for your OS.

BlackBear or HPTuners are easier but cost more for that ease.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your fans are really an issue and you want to fix it efficiently. then go out and get a toggle switch, some good gauge wire and a relay and wire up a manual switch then you can have fans on command and it won't even cost you much.
When I got my first LS1 back in May 1998 - this was all the hotness. Stupid me wired to 12V constant hot. Went out to go to my 8AM college class and car was dead. Started using accessory power after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods